High Point

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
While in Missouri last week I done some swapping and came back with a 40cal High Point handgun.Brand new with only 3 test fire shots.I fired a few test shots when I got home with it.It seems like a pretty good handgun but other than knowing they're a cheap made gun I don't know much about them.
Anybody got any input on them? Can't be all bad with a lifetime warranty.

Cal

Kinda junky, some are good and some don't work. I have seen several in the last few years in 9 mm. Those are the ones made in Ohio right? I look at them like I look at Taurus, if ya have one that cycels ammo well then its a keeper but I would not spend the bucks on a brand new one cause it seems like a gamble.

hayray":32isefex said:
Kinda junky, some are good and some don't work. I have seen several in the last few years in 9 mm. Those are the ones made in Ohio right? I look at them like I look at Taurus, if ya have one that cycels ammo well then its a keeper but I would not spend the bucks on a brand new one cause it seems like a gamble.
No comparison between Taurus and high point. When I sold them people figured they were cheap enough that they were throwaways when they broke. Cheaper to buy a new one that to ship it back.

The HP's are right down there with the Sundance, Ravens, Lorcin, etc. None are real accurate and cycling is the issue with all. If it cycles good, hold on to it for a throw away. If not, sell it now cuz it will always be junk"
I've got a Sundance Boa in .25 auto that I still have only for 2 reasons. Its was the first pistol I bought many years ago, and it cycles just fine. But it hasn't seen daylight in 20 years

Bought a Taurus .40 a couple months ago and a friend of mine has a Baretta .40, took both of them apart and not much difference, I dont think that the Taurus is a cheap made gun.

I took the high point out this morning and fired 20 rounds.Cycled every time and was right on target.
If it continues to do this I rekon I'll keep it around.After all I have only about $55 invested in it.Just another weapon added to my arsenal. :lol: :lol:

Cal

good and bad bout em..theyre perfect for the tractor or 4 wheeler...kinda low quality appearing to me..ruff round the edges but i know guys that got em and they shoot fine...55$ id have bought it too..but theyre bout 120 new i think

gary

Lorcin?Jennings were horrible about breaking the extractor. I got pretty good at fabricating them and heat treating them. Never had one I made break. The secret for what it's worth was heat treating instead of stamping form mild steel.

Lorcin was made in the mid to late 90's I think. I had one of their 380's for a very short period of time. Called it the jam-a-matic...jammed once every magazine....pos

Several years ago my brother and I bought up a bunch of Llama 1911 clones from a dealer going out of business. We got them for a song. They were all in 9mm and .45 acp. They were the biggest pos I ever owned. They would not cycle anything but FMJ rounds and the accuracy was on par with a home-made slingshot. We sold them all but 1......made a little extra on them since we got them for pennies on the dollar anyway. My brother still has the one. It still won't cycle hollow points.

HOSS":37wd54x7 said:
Several years ago my brother and I bought up a bunch of Llama 1911 clones from a dealer going out of business. We got them for a song. They were all in 9mm and .45 acp. They were the biggest pos I ever owned. They would not cycle anything but FMJ rounds and the accuracy was on par with a home-made slingshot. We sold them all but 1......made a little extra on them since we got them for pennies on the dollar anyway. My brother still has the one. It still won't cycle hollow points.
They only work with hardball for one very good and simple reason, they were designed to work with hardball. When they were designed nobody in the world thought that hollowpoints/softpoints would every happen. Until the 90s there were very few semiautos that would function reliably with anything but hardball and those were pretty much flukes. About the only ones that did were 22 rimfires, but most of them wouldn;t work well with the types of hollowpoints that are available today.

Shot another 30 rounds through the high point without a malfunction.I'm kinda likeing this 40 cal ammo.
I think I'll probably buy a good 40cal handgun if this cheapie quits. :lol: :lol:

Cal

Calman":28vy8h81 said:
While in Missouri last week I done some swapping and came back with a 40cal High Point handgun.Brand new with only 3 test fire shots.I fired a few test shots when I got home with it.It seems like a pretty good handgun but other than knowing they're a cheap made gun I don't know much about them.
Anybody got any input on them? Can't be all bad with a lifetime warranty.

Cal

They are actually a pretty decent gun other than looking like a cordless drill, kept one on the tractor for years in 9mm.
It never failed to work went bang everytime what a gun is supposed to do. Now here is the kicker with these guns they are blowback operated not locked breech they do not like cheap ammo, they work better with the hot stuff. They are not heirloom quality for sure.

dun":2so21j7q said:
HOSS":2so21j7q said:
They only work with hardball for one very good and simple reason, they were designed to work with hardball. When they were designed nobody in the world thought that hollowpoints/softpoints would every happen. Until the 90s there were very few semiautos that would function reliably with anything but hardball and those were pretty much flukes. About the only ones that did were 22 rimfires, but most of them wouldn;t work well with the types of hollowpoints that are available today.

The Army surplus 1911's that we got at the Army/Navy stores when I was a youngun wouldn't run hollowpoints, feed ramps were all designed for ball ammo. Wished I had hung on to some of them as well as the 03 30-06's.

Latest posts