High moisture corn

Help Support CattleToday:

Dont feed corn but I do feed cracked wheat and barley. I would guess the main benefits would be increased palatability and less dust. Feed value per unit of dry matter will be the same as for dry corn.

ksCowgirl78":1tzq8hxm said:
Explain the benefits to me of high moisture corn in a feedlot senerio.
You can use it straight off the farm without drying it. Saving the elevator charges makes it a cheaper feed, thus reducing cost of gain. Also gives the grower a wider window to harvest it.

...less harvest loss for the farmer. Easier and cheaper to process. No need for a multimillon $$$ feedmill. Just an all around great feed for finishing cattle.

Big D":2qj62uhm said:
...less harvest loss for the farmer. Easier and cheaper to process. No need for a multimillon $$$ feedmill. Just an all around great feed for finishing cattle.

So do you think that the steam flakers will do away with the need for high moisture corn?

Steam flakers have replaced high moisture corn too a great extent already. This is due mainly to the great expansions that have taken place within the feedlot industry. Nearly all feedlots used HMC 15 to 20 years ago, but with the increased capacity of larger lots came the ability and need to use flakers.
If a 60,000 head lot were to use all HMC, they would have to handle over 8 million bushels of corn at harvest time. A flaker allows them to source and pay for corn over the entire year, and handle only a few days inventory. The cost of energy right now makes flaking a less disirable method, however I know of not one feedyard that is considering shutting down the mills and building bunkers for hmc.

Big D":2b4f5pvo said:

Any advantage to going with HMC rather than corn silage as a growing ration for feeders :?:

Latest posts