Hey Alan

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy-

Reaction score
Alan, I tried to get the filly to load in my straight load 4 horse trailer the other night. She was having no part. She is normally the most laid back easy going thing. She was rearing up and giving me a fit. I ended up just letting her stick her head and shoulders in and I quit. Last night the vet came by to xray her leg for possible OCD and while she was drugged (she tried her best to kick me while I held the xray board) I tried to load her again. She still fought. I let her go and went and got Idiot. I had a bucket of feed in the trailer. I walked him up to the back, showed him the feed and he walked right in like he had been doing it all his life. He is warming up to me pretty well now. I can tell he will definitely be a one man horse.

Well it sure sounds like your colt trust you, so that will sure make the training go a bit smoother. Pretty impressed that he went in the trailer first shot. A 4 straight can be an awful deep looking cave for a young horse to want to step into. Congrats!

What made you test for OCD in your filly... the new idiot?

Alan

To answer your OCD question - I started noticing when I was working her in the round pen she would stop and raise the left rear hoof regularly. I checked her hoof and didn't see anything. I felt her legs and joints and didn't feel anything. One morning my GF was leading her out and I was following with Idiot and I noticed she was sort of favoring it. I watched it for a couple weeks and she favored it about 50% of the time early morning. I had the farrier check her and he could find no hoof problems. I decided to have the vet take a look because if there was a problem I wanted to catch it early. She mentioned OCD and I said lets check. We did the x rays last night but the one side view did not turn out. We have to do it again. The one view that was good showed no signs of OCD thank heaven but one to go.

The filly tried her best to kick me when I put the plate inside her rear leg. The vet drugged her and we eventually (shhh) put a twitch on her. She still tried to kick me and she has a pretty good round house kick. Don't let anyone tell you a horse cannot kick outside, they can. Maybe not real far out but she got that leg out a good foot or more beyond her hip with power.

I am hoping it is just growing pains.

Hey don't worry about the lip twitch it's one of my favorite weapons, I have a filly that I have to lip twitch just to get the bridle path clipped. She had a bad experience with an early trainer. She clips just fine every where else but we fight for about 10 min. on the bridle path then I go to the lip twitch and finish it.

OCD is a long shot unless she is really heavly grained. Which I doubt, knowing your horse skills. But I'm with you and check now to catch it early, what ever it is. Did the farrier trim enough to look for an abess?

Alan

Yeah, the farrier did look for an abscess. He said he saw signs of one shortly after I got her and had him trim her. I showed the vet the spot on her hoof and she tested the hoof again and said it's not a hoof problem.

I decided last night to start working with her kicking when I touch her flank. She started to kick and rapped her on the ankle with a fiberglass golf shaft. She did it several times and so did I. Finally after maybe ten minutes I could run the stick in there and she just flinched. I then went to my hand and she just flinched with no kick. I will try it again tonight. The next xray hopefully will go easier without her kicking.

We did have a spat latter. She did not want to walk at pace with me and when I pulled she would rear up. Well we had several meetings of her front legs with my golf shaft. Sometimes she is more of a challenge than Idiot. OBTW, I lead him in the trailer last night at a walk with no feed around.

flaboy-":puma3g32 said:
We did have a spat latter. She did not want to walk at pace with me and when I pulled she would rear up. Well we had several meetings of her front legs with my golf shaft. Sometimes she is more of a challenge than Idiot. OBTW, I lead him in the trailer last night at a walk with no feed around.

Sounds like the title of idiot has transfered to the filly, watch out pretty soon your gf will want your gelding!

Alan

Yeah, it's funny. After my "training session" last night the GF said looks like we have a new Idiot. :lol:

The vet came out last night and re-took the xray. She called later and said it looked clear except for one thing. She thinks she may see and OCD cyst. She is going to get a second opinion and then maybe digital xrays to verify. If an operation is necessary it's $1000. I will spend the money cause I am such a softy :oops: plus she is a good kisser Alan. :lol:

what's OCD? i know i should know, but.........

i have another q for ya'll. would trimming a front foot a little too much cause the horse to limp and maybe even go down? i was walking my mare last night with the saddle on and she was limping good. loosened saddle a bit cause she was acting funny. i checked her left front foot and while i was holding it she dropped to her knees in front only. scared the bejesus outta me. she freaked a bit after that, so i completely took the saddle off and then put her up. she is still limping on right front, one i think is clipped too much, but otherwise fine. suggestions? comments? concerns? thanks in advance.

cowgirl580":18hu11e1 said:

i have another q for ya'll. would trimming a front foot a little too much cause the horse to limp and maybe even go down? i was walking my mare last night with the saddle on and she was limping good. loosened saddle a bit cause she was acting funny. i checked her left front foot and while i was holding it she dropped to her knees in front only. scared the bejesus outta me. she freaked a bit after that, so i completely took the saddle off and then put her up. she is still limping on right front, one i think is clipped too much, but otherwise fine. suggestions? comments? concerns? thanks in advance.

Rather than me try to explain it, here is a link. Basically it's bone/joint disease. Oops had to edit and put the link in.
http://www.br.cc.va.us/vettech/eqdis.htm

My first thought was no. The hood trimmed too close wouldn't do it. Then I read where you said you lifted the left front and she went down. Since you also said she was limping on the right front the next morning that might make sense then. You lifted the left front, the right front gave her sharp pain from the additional weight and she collapsed to get off of it.

this happened last night, i haven't seen her today. she was limping then. had a little scratch on left leg, but it looked old. i'm gong to be breeding her soon too.

hope everything is okay with yours.

If it was a hoof (instead of a hood), it must have been awful painful for her to go down. Do you have a hoof tester? Shoe'd? If shoe'd did you check it?

we don't shoe our horses. don't have a hoof tester. don't know what a hoof tester is. i'm getting ready to head down that direction and see if my dad needs help putting the pump in the river so i'll be checking her on my way by. may have to make a vet appointment for next week. hope not too, but i don't want her going lame on me. and vet's are easier to find in this area than ferriers. have a hard time finding a good one around here.

cowgirl580":s3w7uyrg said:
we don't shoe our horses. don't have a hoof tester. don't know what a hoof tester is. i'm getting ready to head down that direction and see if my dad needs help putting the pump in the river so i'll be checking her on my way by. may have to make a vet appointment for next week. hope not too, but i don't want her going lame on me. and vet's are easier to find in this area than ferriers. have a hard time finding a good one around here.

Dang cowgirl you disappoint me. You are starting to ruin my dreams :shock: You don't know what a hoof tester is? You sure you wear Wranglers. :lol:

http://www.horseshoes.com/advice/hoofte ... esters.htm

Hey cowgirl, I agree with flaboy 100% I think it is somthing other than a hoof trim. I had a horse do that to me a couple of yrs ago and turned out to be nothing more than working her fat body too much. When in doubt, call a vet.. but I would not breed her until you have her checked out. Better to know now than carrying the extra weight for months.

Alan

flaboy-":3kym8q2g said:
cowgirl580":3kym8q2g said:

Dang cowgirl you disappoint me. You are starting to ruin my dreams :shock: You don't know what a hoof tester is? You sure you wear Wranglers. :lol:

http://www.horseshoes.com/advice/hoofte ... esters.htm

those are called hoof testers? well, learn something new everyday. didn't know that was their name. believe we have a pair. lol. never used them though. now would probably be a good time to learn. lol.

Alan":bcl4hbyn said:
Hey cowgirl, I agree with flaboy 100% I think it is somthing other than a hoof trim. I had a horse do that to me a couple of yrs ago and turned out to be nothing more than working her fat body too much. When in doubt, call a vet.. but I would not breed her until you have her checked out. Better to know now than carrying the extra weight for months.

Alan

yeah, i'm wondering if she's not too fat, but the RF hoof is noticeably shorter than the LF and others, so i will see which vet is coming this way next weds and see if i can get an appt. we have vets that come over here from and hour a way once a week and do check ups and small surgeries. it's really nice. there's three on rotation, so i have to make sure the good one is comin over. lol. thanks for the tips hints and info.

cowgirl580":24tlhoeh said:
Alan":24tlhoeh said:

Alan

yeah, i'm wondering if she's not too fat, but the RF hoof is noticeably shorter than the LF and others, so i will see which vet is coming this way next weds and see if i can get an appt. we have vets that come over here from and hour a way once a week and do check ups and small surgeries. it's really nice. there's three on rotation, so i have to make sure the good one is comin over. lol. thanks for the tips hints and info.

If you feel that one foot is cut shorter than the other, you can stand the horse on level ground (concrete prefered) and take a tape measure and measure each one. Measure up from the concrete (ground) on the front of the hoof to the hair line. They should be within 1/8 " of each other.

Watch that the tape doesn't make your horse too nervous, this is how people end up with flat fingers.

Alan

Alan":1frnpc63 said:
cowgirl580":1frnpc63 said:
Alan":1frnpc63 said:

Alan

If you feel that one foot is cut shorter than the other, you can stand the horse on level ground (concrete prefered) and take a tape measure and measure each one. Measure up from the concrete (ground) on the front of the hoof to the hair line. They should be within 1/8 " of each other.

Watch that the tape doesn't make your horse too nervous, this is how people end up with flat fingers.

Alan

i think i saw some concrete/asphalt about a mile up the road. lol. i picked out her hoof this morning and that RF was a little tender around the frog. i think a stick got her there or a rock and that aided and abetted her prob. will take the tape out tomorrow and see what i can see. she's a really calm horse. only freaks out to make sure you're paying attention. :p

cowgirl580":2jepfe8t said:

would trimming a front foot a little too much cause the horse to limp and maybe even go down? i was walking my mare last night with the saddle on and she was limping good. loosened saddle a bit cause she was acting funny. i checked her left front foot and while i was holding it she dropped to her knees in front only. scared the bejesus outta me. she freaked a bit after that, so i completely took the saddle off and then put her up. she is still limping on right front, one i think is clipped too much, but otherwise fine. suggestions? comments? concerns? thanks in advance.

Yes, trimming a hoof a little too much can absolutely cause a horse to go lame as it throws off their balance and can put stress on muscles and ligaments that otherwise wouldn't have that stress put on them. Depending on how short that foot was trimmed, it could possibly cause enough soreness for her to go down when the other foot was picked up. I haven't seen that happen, but I have seen horses come up lame when their feet were trimmed too short. Just my thoughts.