hernia question

Help Support CattleToday:

ihuntgsps

Reaction score
I have an 8 yr old Dexter cow that seems to have fallen through the dirt covering an old well on my new place. Hole was about 3' in diameter and about 2-3' deep. Can see the tracks were she walked across it. I now notice she has what looks to be a hernia. Does not seem affected by it at all though. Is it possible this will correct itself? Is this something that I should watch or get her to the vet right away? Thank you for any help you can give me.

Get her up in the chute and have a feel... see if it really is a hernia.

I can push the hernia back into the abdominal cavity but it comes right back out. Caused the cow pain when doing this but otherwise she seems absolutely normal and has not affected her daily routine.
She is due to calf in mid June and I am curious if I should have it vet checked or just watch and see if it heals on its own?

How large does the hole in the abdominal wall feel?

Some go away on their own, some don't. My neighbor has a 3y/o cow that's had a hernia since calfhood. Personally, I prefer to have them fixed, but that's only on animals that are worth it. Whether or not I'd do anything about it in your cow's case is largely dependent on 1) how good your vet is, and 2) what the environmental conditions at your place are - hernia surgery involves an incision at the navel area (obviously!) that can potentially allow bacteria into the abdominal cavity. If your pens are wet and mucky, I'd wait until summer, but that's JMO.

Seems to be a good idea to wait until it is less muddy and just watch it and see what happens in the next couple months. Never had this problem before so wasn't sure how to deal with it. Thank you for your help.

Just watch her and make sure she's still eating and acting normal. Sometimes with a hernia it can begin to heal up and pinch the intestine or stomach wall. I've had more hernia's than I care to remember.. Brahman influence cows are notorious for this.

Thank you all for your input on this. I am new to having cattle and all the great info I have been reading on this board the last 6 months or so has really helped.