Herf heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
I was looking at this herf heifer, 1 year old, what do you think? Not the greatest pic... would be better if she were standing uphill rather than downhill

JosieScan1adj.jpg

She looks like a nice heifer, but maybe lacking some muscle especially in the hindquarters. Standing downhill with her rear leg forward certainly doesn't help. Here's a red baldy we would have kept if she had a little more rear muscle and eye pigment. Not quite as furry yet.

100_5068.jpg

One thing I have yet to really understand is how much "leather" and brisket is just right and how much is too much, whether those two things are the same, and why it really matters. Dr. Bonsma indicates that too much brisket is antagonistic to fertility. Are brisket and leather the same, that I don't know.

Are brisket and leather the same, that I don't know.[/quote] no,, brisket is the chest muscle, and leather of course, is the hide ''cover'' ... brahman or ones that tend to have a alot of loose hide hanging from the brisket area that tend to look like a bigger brisket.... and some do have a heavier brisket

As ALACOWMAN said the brisket is fat and muscle , that's were your brisket comes from for your BBQ . When people are talking about packing extra leather they are refering to the Dewlap and how some cows have enough hanging off the front of them to make a set of curtains .Cows that have a exaggerated brisket may have a heart condition . I've never heard of the brisket area having anything to do with fertility , I guess it could be used to gauge a extremely fat cow .

That picture is 20 years old :p, she produced well for me, I got 14 calves from her, and one of her daughters is going to have her 15th and is still doing well... It's kinda funny you mention lack of depth in the hind quarters, (I do agree in her case), but her offspring, and her granddaughters in particular have a ton of meat on the butt... Her and her line have giant hips, which may also make it look like she's got a skinny butt.. In other threads of mine you'll see the heifers 5S and 11T, as well as the #49 steer, which are all grand daughters/sons of hers

2B... that heifer looks a lot like one of her daughters actually

As for brisket, I think a lot of it may again have to do with your eyes playing tricks on you, and that an animal with a pinched chest may look like it has a bigger brisket and vice versa.. I like nice cylindrical torsos on cattle... think of a dachshund but with longer legs lol

As for brisket, I think a lot of it may again have to do with your eyes playing tricks on you, and that an animal with a pinched chest may look like it has a bigger brisket and vice versa.. I like nice cylindrical torsos on cattle... think of a dachshund but with longer legs lol
These topics (re: brisket, "leather", what an animal "...looks like...", "..."nice" this or that physical structures or appearances, ) have been cussed and discussed on these pages ad nauseum in the past, and the comments, for the most part, reveal the 'opinions' of the writers - not necessarily the genetics of the individuals concerned. It was determined many years ago by Producers, Breeders, Universities, Judges of Shows, and Breeders of Registered Livestock that the most desirable method of describing the characteristics of livestock, both positive and negative, was to have a "language", so to speak, by which all breeders and producers could be on the same page and speak the same 'language'. That method has been proven to work very well over the years, and the terminology has been preserved in Glossaries, Textbooks, and millions of articles on beef cattle. By knowing and using these terms, it becomes an easier method of communication within the Industry!

It is interesting to observe how the quality of traits and characteristics of beef Phenotype and Genetics have improved in appearance and function over the years!

DOC HARRIS

Doc, I'll have to disagree with you to an extent...

Here is what a simmy should look like... tell me if the new versions of them are that much more productive, or at all nicer to look at... I do agree that many breeds have come a long way in both aspects though
SwissSimmentalScan2.jpg

Latest posts