Heresy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Remember, just because someone says that they vaccinated, doesn't mean they vaccinated properly.
Blackleg is a killed vaccine. Even if you give the shot EVERY year, if you didn't give the booster shot the FIRST year, NONE OF THE SHOTS DO ANY GOOD. Without the booster shot within the 2-4 weeks requiement, you might as well throw the vaccines on the ground. It does NOTHING.
There are MANY producers that do not understand this, and they diligently vaccinate for everything they think they should, and they are wasting their money & time, not doing it properly.
And as far as live vaccines MAKING cattle sick. YEARS ago, that WAS a slight problem, but the "live" has been modified so that it cannot MAKE the cattle sick anymore.
BUT, we are all wasting our "fingers" - we are preaching to someone without an open mind on the subject. He has his mind set, has his proof.

norriscathy":3g66voym said:
I shall now comit heresy again! We give every short recommended by every power to be. Last year we spent $8,500 on medicine and vet; with 225 cows that come to approximately $40 per cow! Except for worming, I am about ready to stop everything including palpating. We calve twice a year; why not run an extra bull with the dry cows so anything that was open could be bred for the next calving season. If they missed two, sell them. No vet; no medicine! Your thoughts please!!

All right norriscathy - if you are indeed still around and if you are the slightest bit interested.

I vacinated 17 calves today. Here is what we used and I have the invoice in front of me. This is in Canadian dollars, so those of you in the U.S. of A. can reduce the cost by approximately18% if todays exchnage rates are still running true.

2 x 10 ml bottles of One Shot @ $20.30 ea = $40.60

2 x 10 ml bottles of Bovishield NC4 @ $19.68 ea = $39.36

1 x 200 Covexin - 8 @ $30.00 ea = $30.00
(Wife bought enough of the Covexin - 8 to do a booster on the calves in a couple of weeks and have a bit left over for a few other animals that will need a touch up in the spring)

Some needles and stuff - throw in about another 5 bucks.

Disregard the taxes as they are claimed back at the end of the year.

These guys are done up for the year - including the booster - as per veterinarian local knowledge and suggestion - total cost of $6.59 per head.

There are a few odds and sods left over that can be used on others should they need a touch up.

Remember this is only vaccinations - not including Ivomec. We do our own preg check and the total vet costs for visits last year appear to be under 500 bucks - unless I find another invoice that I have forgotten about.

How does our cost for these few compare to your vax program on a per head basis?

Bez!

My grandfather ran 300 black angus for sixty years. Wormed every three months, when pinkeye vaccine came out (pilligard) gave it once a year to everthing! Never a vaccine otherwise. NEVER had any problems. Myself, it is cheap insurance!

Vaccination does, over time, decrease natural immunity while the virus itself builds a stronger immunity to the vaccine.

This goes for nearly every preventative or curing treatment. Nature loses power in the medicated animal, but gains power in the virus.

Vaccination is probably good for your wallet-today-.
You may die rich because you stopped calf-losses by buying vaccines throughout your life. But...

The thing is, nature has a lot more time to act than you do, one type of vaccination leads to another, stronger one, then another stronger one. Your great great great grandchildren may be pouring $250/head/year into the herd just to keep them alive-Why?because you kept on vaccinating. Whereas us cattlemen who do not use vaccines or medications, will have a stronger herd- vaccinated by nature's selection- and pay $0/head-just to keep them alive.

If you're short sighted, and could care less about the generation after you- then by all means- vaccinate for every known disease and feel like you're saving something, but not that 30-50 bucks a head.

Vaccination does, over time, decrease natural immunity while the virus itself builds a stronger immunity to the vaccine.

This goes for nearly every preventative or curing treatment. Nature loses power in the medicated animal, but gains power in the virus.

Vaccination is probably good for your wallet-today-.
You may die rich because you stopped calf-losses by buying vaccines throughout your life. But...

The thing is, nature has a lot more time to act than you do, one type of vaccination leads to another, stronger one, then another stronger one. Your great great great grandchildren may be pouring $250/head/year into the herd just to keep them alive-Why?because you kept on vaccinating. Whereas us cattlemen who do not use vaccines or medications, will have a stronger herd- vaccinated by nature's selection- and pay $0/head-just to keep them alive.

If you're short sighted, and could care less about the generation after you- then by all means- vaccinate for every known disease and feel like you're saving something, but not that 30-50 bucks a head.

You must be young enough not to have seen blackleg wipe out an entire calf crop. Maybe even young enough not to have seen the results of polio. But then again there are always people who think they are smarter than their elders because they read a book somewhere. Oh by the way seems like I read that book about natraul selection (oops I'm sorry ) lived that book saw calves die and young children with polio. Not enough time or room to write a book about life without vaccines. JMOT ;-)

You're right, i have not seen it, and may i ask how it happens in the first place? too much standing water in the pasture? muddy environment for too long = blackleg?

TxStateCowboy":25seao73 said:
You're right, i have not seen it, and may i ask how it happens in the first place? too much standing water in the pasture? muddy environment for too long = blackleg?

bacterial infection.

LonghornRanch":36umfto6 said:
Pink-eye is bacterial, yet Longhorns almost never get it. Why?
Easy question. Pinkeye is bacterial. Transmitted by face flies feeding around the eyes. Even flies have got better sense than to try to gnaw on a Longhorn.

Interesting posts that seems to have stirred a various group of reponses. If I keep calves past 400 pounds I will give some vaccinations. Think it might be foolish not to, as they will start to lose their mothers immunity by then. Having said that though I do think we listen to much to the folks that make all the meds. Common sense says they stay in biz, by selling you more and improved produts....
If you are going to raise cattle, you need some sort of pens to do your on doctoring. They dont have to be fancy to work....I have a new neighbor that has moved next door to my eyesore working pens....lol....the fellas always wanting to know when I am going to tear em down and build some new ones

houstoncutter":1elaxudt said:
If you are going to raise cattle, you need some sort of pens to do your on doctoring. They dont have to be fancy to work....I have a new neighbor that has moved next door to my eyesore working pens....lol....the fellas always wanting to know when I am going to tear em down and build some new ones
If your new neighbor is new to the cattle business you had better listen to him. The new ones that tell you how to do it always know more than the old ones. They have figured it all out. :hat: :lol:

You're right, sorry boss i had my head up my arse on that one. My dyslexic professor was yappin' about 1800's today must have been burned in my brain.

Latest posts