Help Support CattleToday:

Beautiful horse, beautiful girl.

Mom - you are in so much trouble!

:lol:

Bez!

Victoria":1xya5t5x said:
aplusmnt":1xya5t5x said:
Victoria":1xya5t5x said:
My mother knew a girl who got a foot stuck through a stirrup while wearing shoes. The horse spooked she fell got drug through a river and killed. I was never allowed on a horse with a saddle unless I had boots on. So I rode bareback. That's still the way I ride. I can't rope anything anyway so who needs a horn? :lol:

What does the horn have to do with roping? I use mine for hanging on to ;-)

That's why God gave them manes! ;-)

Victoria,,,,,I ride a mule, we shave all the mane off on them, so they look pertier and ears look bigger. So I need that horn otherwise I would fall off when they trot :D

Victoria":2vfcuel5 said:
My mother knew a girl who got a foot stuck through a stirrup while wearing shoes.

Although it is far more likely to happen with shoes than boots, it is very possible to get hung up with boots, too. I had the unique experience of watching a horse shy violently with my father (he has very bad knees and the left one gave out when she spooked and threw him off balance) and seeing him go partially off. He was wearing boots, but that did not stop his foot from getting hung up in the stirrup. Fortunately, Legs (the horse he was riding) did not throw a fit when he ended up hanging off the side of her and he was able to get his foot free.

[
Victoria,,,,,I ride a mule, we shave all the mane off on them, so they look pertier and ears look bigger. So I need that horn otherwise I would fall off when they trot :D[/quote]

LOL me too, and they are slick as silk in the summer..
i tryed an english/assuie stock saddle one time. nice saddle, but i was lost with out the horn, took me for ever to stop reaching for the horn to get on LOL hard to go from westren to english for me any way..

brownmule":2fpo3iuk said:
[
Victoria,,,,,I ride a mule, we shave all the mane off on them, so they look pertier and ears look bigger. So I need that horn otherwise I would fall off when they trot :D

LOL me too, and they are slick as silk in the summer..
i tryed an english/assuie stock saddle one time. nice saddle, but i was lost with out the horn, took me for ever to stop reaching for the horn to get on LOL hard to go from westren to english for me any way..[/quote]

That horn comes in handy also when your mule is on his knees climbing some big hill. I remember one time all that kept me on was the horn, I was hanging off the back of the mule and he was dragging me up the hill. I was just to lazy to get off and walk mine up it like everyone else. :D

Did that for many years in the show ring. Actually, it's mostly just laziness, I usually grab a halter and a lead rope and go. Sometimes I actually ride with a bridle!

I can ride my QH pony with just a halter and lead, bareback. Wouldn't trust my Appy that way though. lol

What classes did you show in, btw? Big dressage fanatic here. :)

I have no doubt you can get caught in the stirrips with boots, for sure with the english irons. This is a real fear of mine, which encourages me to keep my feet and legs in the proper position. I'm also a big one for wearing a helmet. I've cracked one and taken some nasty falls wearing one. Had it not been for my "head bucket" I'm sure I would've suffered at the very least a concussion.

To prevent being drug to death, you might try a pair of breakaway stirrups: http://www.breakawaystirrups.com/index.html

Another tidbit of information:

"Speaking of the American west, who can forget the gun toting cowboys etched in time by greats like Charlie Russell. It's a common misconception that these working cowboys wore six guns because they were all gunslingers. The six gun emerged in the west as a tool of the working cowboys, so that in the event of a dragging, they could shoot their horse before they got drug to death."

I knew a lady that got drug to death by a horse, she was wearing boots but got hung up and the horse didn't stop until someone stopped it. Bad scene.

Maybe we should clarify on what type of boots, ropers with the small walkin heal were NOT meant for ridin. Boots with ridin heals, that way they won't go all the way thru a stirrup. Also stirrups should be the right size for the rider.
I've seen ads for the break away stirrups and have seriously concidered getting some. But the riders still needs the right kinda boots on.

msscamp":37oy3ij6 said:
Victoria":37oy3ij6 said:
My mother knew a girl who got a foot stuck through a stirrup while wearing shoes.

Although it is far more likely to happen with shoes than boots, it is very possible to get hung up with boots, too. I had the unique experience of watching a horse shy violently with my father (he has very bad knees and the left one gave out when she spooked and threw him off balance) and seeing him go partially off. He was wearing boots, but that did not stop his foot from getting hung up in the stirrup. Fortunately, Legs (the horse he was riding) did not throw a fit when he ended up hanging off the side of her and he was able to get his foot free.

That happened to me a few years back. Was riding wife's horse, her stirrups wouldn't go out long enough for me plus her horse was butterball fat. Next thing I know, saddle was off kilter and I was being drug, mighty close to a board fence I might add. Just lucky enough to be in a small lot where she caught the horse, after what seemed to be 1/2 an hour, (really a minute or less). Just one more reason I hate horses!

Why I prefer a 4wheeler:

Never have to clean up behind it.
Only feed it when you need it.
Never bit me.
Never kicked me.
Has brakes.
Doesn't get lippy.
Goes on the trailer without a fuss.
Doesn't founder, get worms, etc.
Doesn't scratch its butt on my fence.
Doesn't hang its head over my fence.
Never gotten pregnant.

And my #1 reason: Only does something really stupid when I tell it to!

cfpinz

cfpinz":1hi12y27 said:
msscamp":1hi12y27 said:
Victoria":1hi12y27 said:

That happened to me a few years back. Was riding wife's horse, her stirrups wouldn't go out long enough for me plus her horse was butterball fat. Next thing I know, saddle was off kilter and I was being drug, mighty close to a board fence I might add. Just lucky enough to be in a small lot where she caught the horse, after what seemed to be 1/2 an hour, (really a minute or less). Just one more reason I hate horses!

Why I prefer a 4wheeler:

Never have to clean up behind it.
Only feed it when you need it.
Never bit me.
Never kicked me.
Has brakes.
Doesn't get lippy.
Goes on the trailer without a fuss.
Doesn't founder, get worms, etc.
Doesn't scratch its butt on my fence.
Doesn't hang its head over my fence.
Never gotten pregnant.

And my #1 reason: Only does something really stupid when I tell it to!

cfpinz

cfpinz....four wheeler comment is hilarious! :D

A person probably will never completely stop possible drags, but proper boots, proper stirrups and proper foot placement will for sure minimize the chances of it happening. And for kids those stirrup guards (forgot name of them) where the foot can not slip through are very smart.

I like the English saddle, I find the horn gets in the way and hurts :oops: I suppose it is what you get used to, I also like the cut away stirrups, your foot can't get caught in them. so no fear of dragging. I always wear boots, it is safer for the ankles more support. I really like the hunting boots over jodpers and always wear a helmet.

nice photo, great looking girl and horse.

chrisy":hojqkrwd said:
I like the English saddle, I find the horn gets in the way and hurts :oops: I suppose it is what you get used to, I also like the cut away stirrups, your foot can't get caught in them. so no fear of dragging. I always wear boots, it is safer for the ankles more support. I really like the hunting boots over jodpers and always wear a helmet.

I think we might have met you on a trail in some hills at Pinnevile MO? Was a group of riders dressed as you describe riding some gaited horses with their helmets on. Me and some friends were on our mules, we had pistols strapped on our horns (for snakes and old men molesters) guess we looked a little rough to them, we were are friendly selves but boy them people got the heck out of Dodge as fast as they could, them gaited horses were out of the gait and in a full run. :D :D

aplusmnt":2hl4n1un said:
chrisy":2hl4n1un said:

I think we might have met you on a trail in some hills at Pinnevile MO? Was a group of riders dressed as you describe riding some gaited horses with their helmets on. Me and some friends were on our mules, we had pistols strapped on our horns (for snakes and old men molesters) guess we looked a little rough to them, we were are friendly selves but boy them people got the heck out of Dodge as fast as they could, them gaited horses were out of the gait and in a full run. :D :D

Serious question for you aplusmnt - when you find some of those "old men molestors" and if they are under 40 - could you send some my way?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:oops:

Bez!

aplusmnt":1f1kja14 said:
chrisy":1f1kja14 said:

couldn't been me, I have never been to the US, my first time in May can't wait..

Bez!":239wc9ee said:
aplusmnt":239wc9ee said:
chrisy":239wc9ee said:

Serious question for you aplusmnt - when you find some of those "old men molestors" and if they are under 40 - could you send some my way?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:oops:

Bez!

I will keep my eyes open! ;-)

Latest posts