Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

brierpatch1974

Reaction score
Well my son decided to go with some polled Herefrods wich is just fine with me. We talked with a lady at our local 4-H and she told us she can cut us a deal on some bred cows. Two of them are 4 years old and have had 2 calves and one is 3 years old and has had one calf. The are in the process of being bred back now. They are registered and her asking price for all 3 is $2100.
We will be going out to look at these animals this week so give me some ideas on what to look for. I have seen some pics of them but from the pics all I can tell is they have very straight backs and some healthy looking calves.
The two 4 year old cows took first and second place at the state fair 3 years ago but then I don't know what the compition was or how many was there so.....
So let me know what to look for and if this is a good price to pay. I know its hard to get an idea without seeing them but hit me with some ball park figures. She is selling off some of her herd since her husband past away and she cant maintain as many by herself. Thanks for all the advice I appreciate it.

BP

Brandonm2":3uso5xh8 said:
3 bred registered cows for $2100 is a very good deal. Take it before someone else does.

I agree. But you might want to take someone along that has some cattle savvy to check them out. Almost sounds too good to be true. If that's not possible, and you don't see something obviously wrong with them, I'd go ahead and take my chances. That's one heckuva good price.

On the other hand, it sounds like she needs to unload them and is trying to help someone out in the process. Take 'em!

Be careful, but BUY.

Sometimes a deal is to good to be true.

But it sounds like this is just a DEAL

BUY BUY BUY

MD

BP - Every one of the four posts above are exactly correct! I agree with Van C regarding taking someone along with you who knows cattle. Not only could they point out specifics that may be important in your buying, but they can help you see the Phenotype (what they LOOK like) AS you look at them and teach both you and your son a little bit about the business.

The raising of beef cattle may sound like it is not too complicated, however - to do it CORRECTLY takes knowledge and thought, and you are in a terrific position to bond with your son and BOTH of you have an EXCITING time learning a new phase of working togetherl This experience will stay with your son for the rest of his life, whether he stays in the beef business or not.

Here are a few "Links" which I think will really give you a toe-hold on LEARNING:

http://wwwbovineengineering.com/femalelhtm
http://www.ricecrc.org/reader/beefbreed ... owring.htm
http://wwwbovineengineering.com/male.htm
http://agric.nsw.gov.au/reader/cattle-a ... /a2335.htm
http://wwwbovineengineering.com/quality.htm
http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/ansci/beef/as1169w.htm

Some of these links may not still be available, but you may do a SEARCH on the internet for all kinds of information and that will lead you to other sites. Also go to the "American Hereford Association" for all kinds of help.

There are thousands more similar to these, but this will get you started and 'whet' your appitite for more knowledge!

Good luck to you and your son. This is a terrific opportunity that you have. My advice is: Don't drop the ball!

DOC HARRIS

I agree not a bad price, but the cows are open now right? These cows without calves at side would bring kill price on the market. About 50$ per hundred. So I don't know if its all that great a deal. :eek:

mnmt

If the cows are "in the process of being bred back now", that makes them open cows in my book. And why are they selling just the cows? Fertile open cows should have babies too young to wean.

You said these cows each have a calf by side? If that is true, 700 each for 3 and 4 year old cows is incredibly cheap---about 200-300 per pair too cheap. Make sure you get them bought and loaded before she finds out how much under the market they are. You can look them over after you get them home. Good luck in your decisions.

brierpatch1974":9omo17ry said:
Well my son decided to go with some polled Herefrods wich is just fine with me. We talked with a lady at our local 4-H and she told us she can cut us a deal on some bred cows. Two of them are 4 years old and have had 2 calves and one is 3 years old and has had one calf. The are in the process of being bred back now. They are registered and her asking price for all 3 is $2100.
We will be going out to look at these animals this week so give me some ideas on what to look for. I have seen some pics of them but from the pics all I can tell is they have very straight backs and some healthy looking calves.
The two 4 year old cows took first and second place at the state fair 3 years ago but then I don't know what the compition was or how many was there so.....
So let me know what to look for and if this is a good price to pay. I know its hard to get an idea without seeing them but hit me with some ball park figures. She is selling off some of her herd since her husband past away and she cant maintain as many by herself. Thanks for all the advice I appreciate it.

BP

$700 for young registered cows that raise good calves is not bad.

Calves are at their sides now. They will be bred back later with her bull when time is right. She knows its a steal but she is helping my son get started with them and 4-H and like I said she is down sizing her herd becuase of her husbands death.
She is going to keep 2 of the calves and sale one of them. They will be weaned off the mothers around second week of July. I will be bringing them home first week of August.
The $2100 is the cash I am paying and also I am doing a little fence work for her and painting some out buildings so that covers the price some as well.
My concern is will these cows always have calves in Febuary? or does it matter when they have them? I would prefer a month thats a little warmer myself. Thanks for all the info and advice I appreciate it.

BP

Calves are at their sides now. They will be bred back later with her bull when time is right. She knows its a steal but she is helping my son get started with them and 4-H and like I said she is down sizing her herd becuase of her husbands death.
She is going to keep 2 of the calves and sale one of them. They will be weaned off the mothers around second week of July. I will be bringing them home first week of August.
The $2100 is the cash I am paying and also I am doing a little fence work for her and painting some out buildings so that covers the price some as well.
My concern is will these cows always have calves in Febuary? or does it matter when they have them? I would prefer a month thats a little warmer myself. Thanks for all the info and advice I appreciate it.

BP

brierpatch1974":3mpymg9k said:
My concern is will these cows always have calves in Febuary?

The cows will calve according to when they are put with a bull. If you want to start calving in a certain month, then you put the bull in with them approximately 9 months earlier - in our case we start calving in March, so the bull is put out the prior June. You have a cow that is calving in February, you want her to calve in April - put the bull out in July. Check with your local feed stores, vet clinics, farm supply places - a lot of times they will have little record books that fit in your pocket and allow you to record various types of information. One of the benefits of these books is they have a gestational table that gives specific dates as to service and subsequent calving. I don't know of any cow that calves exactly on the date she is supposed to, but it will give you and idea of when she is due. You can also look it up on the internet.

or does it matter when they have them? I would prefer a month thats a little warmer myself. Thanks for all the info and advice I appreciate it.

Whether it matters or not is going to depend on your environment and operation - a lot of people calve year-round and it works great for them. We like the colder months because the temps are cold enough to help control bacteria and viruses better than in the warmer months, but not so cold (usually) to cause problems with frozen feet, ears, or tails. On the other hand, showers and snowstorms can cause very young calves to become wet and chilled and they have a tendency to develop scours under those conditions. I hope this helps!.

BP

brierpatch1974":1eji1o0v said:

BP

If they are not bred back right now, they will not have calves in Feb of next year. If they were bred today, the due date would be 4/3/07. Gestation length is about 283 days. I think you've found a good deal for good young breeding stock.

Texan":2bvu2j0u said:
If the cows are "in the process of being bred back now", that makes them open cows in my book. And why are they selling just the cows? Fertile open cows should have babies too young to wean.

Dad gummit Texan there registered makes them worth more at the salebarn. Four year old open cows I would be looking at them with a jaundice eye, can and cutter prices are 45 to 47 a 100 that makes the seller about 300 bucks a cow.
I would have a whole lot of question why any one has open cows this time of year with out something hanging on a teat also. Are these "white" cows and thats the reason there not breed back or someting more serious.

it sounds to me like the cows have calves on them and the lady has chosen not to breed them back yet. for whatever reason. maybe she doenst want them calving in february anymore. or maybe her deceased husband did the AIing. it doesnt sound like the cows have been running with the bulls not getting bred.

Beefy":71x8xs5o said:
it sounds to me like the cows have calves on them and the lady has chosen not to breed them back yet. for whatever reason. maybe she doenst want them calving in february anymore. or maybe her deceased husband did the AIing. it doesnt sound like the cows have been running with the bulls not getting bred.

That's the way I read it, too. Pretty simple.

fellas it is that simple. The calves will be weaned in middle of july. She has not let them or any other of her cows be with a bull. She is downsizing the herd and rearranging almost everything do to her husbands death. He took care of all the breeding and raising for the most part while she took care of the shows.

brierpatch another way to look at it is if you were to go buy some good replacement heifers you would be paying that much for them too. so even if the cows are open right now at least you know how they produce and that they can, do, and will raise good calves.

Granted if you were looking at someones open culls $700 would be a ripoff.

Latest posts