Herefords from the 70's

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattle Rack Rancher

Reaction score
With all this talk about Campground's Braxton line being a little too 'white'.
I decided to dig through and see what I could find for older pictures of our registered herefords. This picture is from 1974. Notice the broad neck striping on this calf.

74calf.jpg

No one has said they never looked that way. They're not 4 feet tall today anytmore either. The trend has been to selct against the lineback and too much white.

Here's our herd sire from 1979. He would be about four years old in this picture. I think he would do really well on the cows I have now. Problem is he'd be 30 years old by now.

herefordbull.jpg

No one has said they never looked that way. They're not 4 feet tall today anytmore either. The trend has been to selct against the lineback and too much white.

Really?

Muratic":1w0xhbqk said:
Campground Cattle":1w0xhbqk said:
Cattle Rack Rancher":1w0xhbqk said:
Hey Campground. That heifer looks like she has pretty long socks. Is she a purebred?
Yep thats one of the things I like about the Braxtons painted real purdy.

Kinda funny how you can jump poor willow about not having a mane on his bull but it is "real purdy" to have a painted up hereford? Little char influence in them there braxton's, Camp???

CRR - Thank you for sharing those pictures! I love to look at old pictures, it's a glimpse from the past. To tell the truth, some on my herefords have just as much white as those babies.

Cattle Rack Rancher":3pk3gmd4 said:

Really?

Muratic":3pk3gmd4 said:
Campground Cattle":3pk3gmd4 said:
Cattle Rack Rancher":3pk3gmd4 said:
Hey Campground. That heifer looks like she has pretty long socks. Is she a purebred?
Yep thats one of the things I like about the Braxtons painted real purdy.

Kinda funny how you can jump poor willow about not having a mane on his bull but it is "real purdy" to have a painted up hereford? Little char influence in them there braxton's, Camp???

What are you trying to say? Char's amde them bigger? Hip height is one of the most heritable traits around. It's easy to go from 4 ft to current size. There was a sharp increase in size and now they've moderated again. I guess if Char's or Simmi's made them bigger they must have bred to dwarfs to bring them back down to where they are today. Simmi's made them red? Maybe some but it's also easy to select against certain color traits like the lineback (white mane is different from lineback) and for othetr color traits like the red eyes. It didn't happen overnight. This is 2005 in case you didn't know. Over 30 years from the first picture you posted. I sure hate to repeat myself and I alrady said it on the other message but there's nothing wrong with having white, it's just been selected against and it's not typical of Braxtons.

What are you trying to say? Char's amde them bigger? Hip height is one of the most heritable traits around. It's easy to go from 4 ft to current size. There was a sharp increase in size and now they've moderated again. I guess if Char's or Simmi's made them bigger they must have bred to dwarfs to bring them back down to where they are today. Simmi's made them red? Maybe some but it's also easy to select against certain color traits like the lineback (white mane is different from lineback) and for othetr color traits like the red eyes. It didn't happen overnight. This is 2005 in case you didn't know. Over 30 years from the first picture you posted. I sure hate to repeat myself and I alrady said it on the other message but there's nothing wrong with having white, it's just been selected against and it's not typical of Braxtons.

Pay attention, boy. What i said is that there were people questioning whether Campground's Braxton's didn't have something else bred in them to get so much white on them. I said they were like that before that white got bred out. You said nobody ever questioned whether they were purebreds or not and what I posted after that was the post where the person questioned the coloring of those Braxton's. Got it now or do I need to use smaller words for you.

Cattle Rack Rancher":21raymvx said:

Pay attention, boy. What i said is that there were people questioning whether Campground's Braxton's didn't have something else bred in them to get so much white on them. I said they were like that before that white got bred out. You said nobody ever questioned whether they were purebreds or not and what I posted after that was the post where the person questioned the coloring of those Braxton's. Got it now or do I need to use smaller words for you.

Well I never said that. I said it was selected against which in my liittle mind means it was once there. But thanks for clearing it up anyway. Now that it seems you've mastered the quote button I understand.

C.R.R... what frame size do you think he was?

If I had to guess, I would say he was probably about about a 4. But that would just be guessing. I was alot shorter then. I remember that when we shipped him, we just put a halter on him and led him onto the truck. He would have been around six then and had never been haltered since we had him. Amazing that he would remember that after five years.

The Bull

If you knew Hereford history you would know that Herefords originally were huge 3000 lb range, also the old lines had a lot of white. What some of you newcomers considered undesireable is not what the original breed looked like or what older breeders may desire. How come no one mentions the yellow Herefords have you never seen one very common up until the seventies until some of you new age breeders decided it was undesireable trait. Did you know at one time Herefords were not considered to be registered unless they had the white mane. Some of your so called improvements in color would not been cosidered pure a few years back with out the white markings on the back.

Campground Cattle":132hf1uf said:
The Bull

If you knew Hereford history you would know that Herefords originally were huge 3000 lb range, also the old lines had a lot of white. What some of you newcomers considered undesireable is not what the original breed looked like or what older breeders may desire. How come no one mentions the yellow Herefords have you never seen one very common up until the seventies until some of you new age breeders decided it was undesireable trait. Did you know at one time Herefords were not considered to be registered unless they had the white mane. Some of your so called improvements in color would not been cosidered pure a few years back with out the white markings on the back.

were those 3000lb's short legged or pretty tall?

I've been reading these posts about the Herefords with interest. Although I don't raise Herefords now we always had them when I was a kid. We had both polled and horned but horned were and still are my favorite. All the Herefords that I ever saw had the white mane. I was just at the Dixie National in Jackson, Mississippi this past weekend and I tried but never was able to locate a Horned Hereford-I just wonder why there were none in the show? Do the judges not favor them now days? Also, I looked at several that had no mane and some even had red spots on the faces. This is what I call a brockle face. They were being shown as purebred but they sure didn't look like it to me.

Alot of discussion is out there about Braxton Giant bloodlines. I have not met many people who did not like the cows once they put them to work in their programs. I happen to have some Braxton Giant 1 bloodline, and I am very satisfied with the offspring. Calves usually come lightweight with good tops, thickness, and growth. Cows udder quality is good with plenty of milk. I have not experienced "excess" white. Disposition is good to tolerable...:) Can anyone, who has used them for many years, tell me how do they do on longivity?

1848":3tmr8gjl said:
Alot of discussion is out there about Braxton Giant bloodlines. I have not met many people who did not like the cows once they put them to work in their programs. I happen to have some Braxton Giant 1 bloodline, and I am very satisfied with the offspring. Calves usually come lightweight with good tops, thickness, and growth. Cows udder quality is good with plenty of milk. I have not experienced "excess" white. Disposition is good to tolerable...:) Can anyone, who has used them for many years, tell me how do they do on longivity?

Great on the longivity, udders hold up well. The only problem I have encountered is the bulls seem to be hotter than the typical Hereford.

Polled Hereford

Unlike the history of so many breeds of cattle, that of the Polled Hereford began in the U.S. and moved to England in the 1950s. England is the origin of most polled or homless breeds, which can be traced to indigenous varieties. However, early descriptions of Herefords from Herefordshire include references to horns. Certainly the polled gene existed and it is likely that these early breeders in Herefordshire selected away from animals born without horns.

Although the first recorded Herefords were imported to the U.S. in 1816 by the famed Kentucky Statesman Henry Clay, it was not until 1898 that the first serious breeding program of Polled Herefords began.

Warren Gammon, a lawyer from Des Moines, Iowa, started using registered Herefords exclusively, with the goal of producing Polled Herefords. Warren Gammon had seen polled cattle on exhibit at the Trans-Mississippi International Exhibition in Omaha, Neb. Warren Gammon developed his idea of breeding a homless strain of registered Hereford cattle by sending inquiries to 2,500 members of the American Hereford Association in 1900, trying to find naturally polled, purebred Herefords. He received 1,500 replies and bought four bulls and ten cows. Two cows were barren, one bull was eliminated and so it was from the remaining 11 animals that Gammon founded the Polled Hereford breed. The original 11 Polled Herefords were registered in the American Hereford Association but were not identified as being polled.

In 1901 the American Polled Hereford Cattle Club was formed to maintain separate records of purebred Polled Herefords. Headquarters for this organization was Gammon's home in Des Moines, Iowa, and he served as executive secretary until 1911. In these early days of the breed, Warren Gammon requested of the American Hereford Association that they include a provision to indicate "polled" ancestry on all pedigrees. This they refused to do, taking the stance that Herefords were Herefords.

A bull called Giant was the breed's foundation sire. He was born May 3, 1899, in the herd of OF. Nelson of Hiawatha, Kan., northwest of Kansas City. Giant was a scurred bull (meaning he had small imperfectly formed horns that were not attached to the skull), but most of his oftspring were polled. Nelson received an inquiry from Warren Gammon, in search of naturally hornless registered Herefords, shortly after the bull had been returner to Nelson by a commercial cattleman who was dissatisfied by the hornless trait in Giant and his offspring. Giant was used by Gammon for several years and then sold to G.E.Ricker of Ashland, Neb.

Another naturally polled bull, second only to Giant, was Variation 152699(14). He was bred in the herd 0f John G. Thomas of Harris, Mo., from horned parentage. Giant and Variation were the two most influential sires of the Polled Hereford breed.

Polled Herefords were recorded in all directions from Iowa. Hereford breeders in England imported one bull and five heifers from New Zealand in 1955. These polled animals were the first recognized by the Hereford Herd Book Society as pedigreed Hereford cattle. Next, the Ministry of Agriculture allowed an importation from the U.S. of 22 head of Polled Herefords in 1956. This was a reverse in direction for cattle traveling across the Atlantic.

In 1957, Oscar Colburn of Crickley Barrow, Cheltenhim, brought to England a bull called BPF Pawnee Perfect from John Royer's Bush Park in Woodbine, Md. This bull became one of the most successful breeding bulls in English Hereford history.

To date the American Polled Hereford Association has registered 5.5 million head of cattle.

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/hereford/

1960's

"Breeders often selected for frame score and mature weight, and paid little heed to fertility, structural soundness, feet and legs. The "yellow and mellow" coloring, a tic of white in the back or extra white on the legs and underline became less of a selection criteria. "If big enough, markings and color became less important."

Latest posts