Hereford ??????

Help Support CattleToday:

C HOLLAND

Reaction score
I have purchased a used semen storage tank and have inherited several dozen straws of semen. The 2 reg numbers that I have the most of is 23054534 and 23117311, My question is can anyone help me with these bulls. Would you use them for producing Baldies from Angus cows.
I know the BW and CED numbers are not good at all. I would appreciate any help.

23054534 is a bull named JDH Hawk Nautique 1U. He was born in 1986 listed as inactive and has a BW epd of 10+. I might be tempted to throw them on the ground. OR contact one of the listed owners and start asking questions.

23117311 named Trustmark. His BW is a 12+. Same goes for him and his -9 milk epd.
Throw it all away.
I have some corey semen I'll give ya if you want to use a cow killer and his BW isn't that bad.

Thanks Cert, I see you share my same opinion on this semen. USELESS well it didnt really cost me anything. I told my wife I could use it to help train her in handling the semen and loading the gun for me.

thanks again

C HOLLAND":2pj29cyk said:
I told my wife I could use it to help train her in handling the semen and loading the gun for me.

Best thing to do IMO. Hope she has fun!!!

Cert,

I'm a bit surprised at you. With you being the rebel that you are, I might have thought you would have tried a few straws just to prove that high BW's arent' that bad.

I agree, use it for practice loading a gun. Reminds me of the instructor at our AI class. He had some straws on some Salers bull that was a dud. He told us he'd give us as many straws as we would take, just to get rid of the stuff. He didn't have any takers. :lol:

James, even a 12 BW pushes my limits a little.

I would like to see a picture of these bulls. Must be coarse shouldered things.
Neighbor still has some Myrtlewood Slew in his tank. BIG cows those were.

certherfbeef":uw2akk6k said:
I would like to see a picture of these bulls. Must be coarse shouldered things.

Trustmark came around back during the big, giraffey timeframe. we even used him on a couple of cows :oops: we didn't have any calving problems, but i'd say that MM epd is pretty accurate:

trustmark.jpg

IF you like to sell your culls bred(and most of us do), any semen would work (why use valuable semen on a cow you KNOW you are running through the sale barn after you wean her current calf). Other than that or practice I don't know what you would use that semen for.

many newly acquired, used tanks have semen in them that was not kept frozen.

dont be cheap; spend a few dollars for some decent, proven semen.

Brandonm2":2zfn1gzh said:
IF you like to sell your culls bred(and most of us do), any semen would work (why use valuable semen on a cow you KNOW you are running through the sale barn after you wean her current calf). Other than that or practice I don't know what you would use that semen for.

gonna sell somebody a cow with a cow-killer in her?

not the most honest business practice.

Most mature cows can handle ANY bull. We have bred Hereford cows to Charolais in the past and MANY people breed Herefords to Brahmans. Both of those crosses are VERY close to a Hereford with a +10 Birth Wt epd. The problem with a +10 or +11 Hereford bwt epd is NOT that he would kill half the cows in a decent herd; but with that +10 birth weight EPD 1) you can't use him on any heifers and 2) nobody who reads the EPDs or knows pedigrees will buy his progeny as he is one of the worst birth wt bulls in the entire Hereford breed. IF I am selling cows through the stockyard (presumably with no registration papers) I don't see why any of that matters. Certainly you should not breed him to 900 lb cows; but most cows now are a good bit heavier than that. A 1200++ pound 12 year old cull cow should have that calf with no problem.

Aero, I wouldn't use the semen on a cull cow to sell to anyone if it wasn't good enough for me to keep the cow. I have an older Brangus cow that will be sold next spring after she weans her calf and she will be bred with 6I6 or GAR 5050 before I sell her. I do have my own semen and I know its been handled properly.

I went though the rest of the semen last night and the EPD's got worse on the remaining bulls. I don't understand why anyone would want to keep anything that bad much less actually purchase it.

thanks everyone for your input.

C HOLLAND":1u15ntc1 said:
I don't understand why anyone would want to keep anything that bad much less actually purchase it.

because some people dont care about EPDs