Hereford Sale,Australia.

Help Support CattleToday:

Australian Cattleman

Reaction score
Tenterfield,New England Region NSW,Australia
We are off to a Hereford production sale about 120klms to our south. The Smithston stud is fast gaining a top class reputation in the breed here in Australia.
They win lots of Royal Show championships. The owners are expatriate Scots who moved to Australia in the mid 1980's. They brought with them embryos.
They have a catalogue of about 80 lots made up of about 50 bulls and about 30 heifers and one top Grand Champion cow (with a heifer calf at foot) from this years Sydney Royal show,she's bound to make $10,000+
Helen and I are going most probably for a look as I'm sure it will be a top class sale. We may buy a heifer or two that are in calf.
We are interested in getting a few registered Herefords together for something extra to interest us.
We will probably go to the Courallie dispersal about 300 klms west south west of us in November. There will be 700 registered females for sale. There will be some magnificent females on offer there. There will be big money paid at that sale.
I'll keep you posted on the results of the Smithston sale and any others coming up.
Colin

Well we went to the Hereford Sale. Some beautiful cattle. 52 bulls averaged just over $6,000 and 12 females averaged $3,250. Top price was paid for the Senior Champion bull from Sydney Royal,he made $47,500. The top priced female was a magnificent cow and calf and back in calf combination,she made a paltry $7,500. I expected that she would or should have made about 12-15,000.
We opened our wallet and purchased a 16 month old bull for $3,000 and two beautiful in calf two year old heifers at $2,000. We could have purchased several as some needed only one bid to have purchased them. The continuing dry weather made us pull up at the three that we purchased.
We definately will be back next year for another go.
Colin & Helen