Hereford markings

Help Support CattleToday:

redcowsrule33

Reaction score
Posting this here to avoid hijacking the "cow bred by two bulls" thread.

In reference to Black and Good's hereford bull that throws solids. This suggests heterozygosity for the hereford marking gene (ShS+) instead of ShSh like you would expect. Which may explain how the feathernecks have been bred out more and more in the breed, as Sh is incompletely dominant over solid, so you get the restricted color pattern but a white face.

So, if this is true, there should be solid animals showing up in the hereford breed, as there should be some ShS+ x ShS+ mating occurring.

Are these animals being swept under the rug since they don't meet breed standard, or is the heterozygosity not really occurring in the breed and there is a more nefarious reason for his bulls heterozygous status, or am I missing something in my color breeding knowledge? I am not bashing herefords here, just looking for clarity.

Just my opinion, but before the frame race hereford bulls sired white or brockle faced offspring without fail.

KNERSIE":1aunxeca said:
Just my opinion, but before the frame race hereford bulls sired white or brockle faced offspring without fail.

I have had a lot of brockle faced ones. I have a few that way now. They are mostly line one though. I know my current bull could use more pigment around his eyes.

JHH":3okul22p said:
KNERSIE":3okul22p said:

I have had a lot of brockle faced ones. I have a few that way now. They are mostly line one though. I know my current bull could use more pigment around his eyes.
Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant to say hereford bulls sired white or brockle faced calves out of angus cows, without fail

I guess mine might be caused by a spotting gene? Here is what I am talking about.You can see the spot on her face kind of.

redcowsrule33":1iz8k41c said:
Posting this here to avoid hijacking the "cow bred by two bulls" thread.

In reference to Black and Good's hereford bull that throws solids. This suggests heterozygosity for the hereford marking gene (ShS+) instead of ShSh like you would expect. Which may explain how the feathernecks have been bred out more and more in the breed, as Sh is incompletely dominant over solid, so you get the restricted color pattern but a white face.

So, if this is true, there should be solid animals showing up in the hereford breed, as there should be some ShS+ x ShS+ mating occurring.

Are these animals being swept under the rug since they don't meet breed standard, or is the heterozygosity not really occurring in the breed and there is a more nefarious reason for his bulls heterozygous status, or am I missing something in my color breeding knowledge? I am not bashing herefords here, just looking for clarity.

The quest for pigment around the eyes is leading toward more and more Hereford cattle having "splotches" of red on or around their face. No doubt, if the trend continues, the breed trait might be eventually bred out.
But, to date, I have never seen a Hereford X Hereford that had a solid color head/face other than white. And I have never seen a pure Hereford sire or have a calf, crossed with ANY other breed, where there wasn't still a good bit of white on the face, so my first concern would be the purity of the "Hereford" in question.

Latest posts