Help Support CattleToday:

sporder

Reaction score
DSCF1559.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCF1564.jpg
DSCF1578.jpg
[/img]

i dont disagree with you. just need to know where i m going wrong. i look at the posts on here and see what they should be like. luckily they are more lawn orniments rather than retirement fund. been feeding barly last 2 weeks every day before that grass and bit of cake now and then.

jerry27150":3ebq5leg said:
they look fine to me. new herefords are all longer & taller

They may look fine to you but this is where we as breeders need to step up. I dont think they are terrible but they need more of a rear end on them.
It will be interesting to see what Knersie says.

Longer and taller is not the way.

is there something i can do to put flesh on the rear end. i to will be interested to hear what knersie says as every time he posts it makes sense and regaurd his advice as 2nd to none.

Ok nice color on them.
I would like to see them thicker and some more muscle.
As for getting more muscle on the rump look for a bull that has more muscle, a proven bull in which you can see his daughters and how they look and develop. Start there.

I luv herfrds":2q6w18gp said:
Ok nice color on them.
I would like to see them thicker and some more muscle.
As for getting more muscle on the rump look for a bull that has more muscle, a proven bull in which you can see his daughters and how they look and develop. Start there.

This is good advice. You're not in it to sell seedstock. Put a good thick bull on them and then cull for the best.

No need to sell out and start over. And for cryin out loud don't listen to some of the "JERKS" on here.

I don't think they look all that bad for commercial Hereford heifers. They look a little raw coming off grass. When were they last wormed??

my 3 other females. the first is the mother of the heifer with more white .the only females i have purchased.the 2nd is the mother of the other heifer and 6 month calf as well as the mother to the other female in 3rd pic.she is part of what i inherited when my father passed away.
DSCF1590.jpg
DSCF1604.jpg
DSCF1598.jpg

free town regent is related to the 6 month old heifer. the first bull i had and used was sired by him(AI). the 2 older heifers have been AI d to free town baron and i am hoping to improve the herd with bulls like him.

sporder":3tdgxrlp said:
i dont disagree with you. just need to know where i m going wrong. i look at the posts on here and see what they should be like. luckily they are more lawn orniments rather than retirement fund. been feeding barly last 2 weeks every day before that grass and bit of cake now and then.

nobody here knows you are doing anything wrong (other than trying to breed a 6 mo old calf). heifers tell you very little about what they will be when they are cows. if you raise them on grass-only everyone will think they look thin and lacking muscling until they are 4 yrs old. if you want to improve your cows, use a bull that has daughters that look good. this means you can't use a yearling. find someone's 5 yr old bull that they are ready to get rid of. you can see the daughters and know what you are getting for $1000-1500. or you can AI to a proven bull; dont use the popular "modern" stuff.

i intend to use better bulls. this is my 2nd year and only have afew cattle. i ve made the mistake of buying a young bull but the problem with buying an older proven bull is the price goes up and when you only have afew to breed you need to justify it. ok you can justify it by saying you will get better offspring. the prob i ve found with AI is catching them right. both heifers i had done needed to be done twice. and that means you can end up with pregs out of sinc.

sporder":1w0tt2ro said:
i intend to use better bulls. this is my 2nd year and only have afew cattle. i ve made the mistake of buying a young bull but the problem with buying an older proven bull is the price goes up and when you only have afew to breed you need to justify it. ok you can justify it by saying you will get better offspring. the prob i ve found with AI is catching them right. both heifers i had done needed to be done twice. and that means you can end up with pregs out of sinc.
Being in sync. is good. Improving your herd is better.
My cattle are all over the calendar as far as calving. If you are striving to build a foundation then sometimes you must make sacrifices.

sporder":13zhq9uy said:
free town regent is related to the 6 month old heifer. the first bull i had and used was sired by him(AI). the 2 older heifers have been AI d to free town baron and i am hoping to improve the herd with bulls like him.

Ok... There could be something done with feeding. Are they grazing year around? I use extra protein to "pump em up" .With lots of energy cattle grow, but muscling might still be weak?

Although you have green grass, it looks mighty short, not even close to covering the hoofs on those heifers, I would have started feeding them hay a good while back if they were mine, a worming and a good free choice mineral program might help too.
Not all your problems are bull related, although he's not helping matters. For instance, a lot of the young heifer's structural problems come from her dam side, but, again the bulls not helping any either.
Your choice for a AI bull should help you out some,
Sire-Free20Town20Baron2015-10.jpg

he is better that what you have, but I personally don't think he's a world beater either. The Pinehill bull that's linked may help you some, but he has some of the same structural problems some of your cows have, if you plan on retaining them all. The cows do appear to have some depth and a decent amount of bone, it's something to build on with the right bull. Ya'll still seem to be using the larger framed Herefords which is kind of surprising.
I like this one, although I know nothing about him. :eek:

Sire-Haven20Wizard2010-15S.jpg

i to like haven wizard and would be able to purchase seamen with ease. i chose freetown baron because he has high ebvs but am woundering now if this will cause problems with the heifers giving birth. calf may be bigger than norm. another thing to put down to lack of experience

Rocket2222:
http://www.abspecplan.com.br/conteudo/fotos/519.jpg

Here is a picture of this Pinehill bull which Genus Breeding is promoting. What do you think about it? what faults do you see? I think there is "something" wrong in type of the bull. Looks like a Limousin. He is an australian bull.

Breeders in UK really like big cattle. Charolais, BB and other monsters are very popular. I dont think they will be turning to more moderate type of herefords soon.

Latest posts