Hereford heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

showmomof2

Reaction score
091.JPG
Our Legend 242 daughter out of a granddaughter of 19D
088.JPG
By CL1 Domino 3162N

Did you get both of these from the JDB sale? Did you see my Legend x19D sale heifer on our website?

DFF, I did see her. She resembles ours. How's her growth been? Ours is more moderate in frame size than the other one I have posted. I still like your Sapphire heifer, too. We bought the Legend heifer from Thompsons in Hot Springs. The 2nd one came from Bellis'. We are going to breed her to JDB Stewart this winter. Not totally decided on the Legend heifer. It will be either Stewart or Top Secret.

They look like good solid heifers. I like the 242 best too. What are you trying to accomplish with the Stewart breeding? IMHO he is a good bull, but as far as AI'ing goes theres better out there.

The improvement in the quality cattle you're posting now compared to when you first started is something to be proud of. The 242 heifer is a cut above the Domino heifer, both will eventually make decent cows in the pasture.

showmomof2":2h7q3x9x said:
DFF, I did see her. She resembles ours. How's her growth been? Ours is more moderate in frame size than the other one I have posted. I still like your Sapphire heifer, too. We bought the Legend heifer from Thompsons in Hot Springs. The 2nd one came from Bellis'. We are going to breed her to JDB Stewart this winter. Not totally decided on the Legend heifer. It will be either Stewart or Top Secret.
The growth of the Legend has been excellent she's 10 months now and weighs 750 or better, she is one solid package, and a lot of her, She should be a favorite at the sale and definetly a contender for the $ at the futurity next June. The Sapphire hfr. (Frontier x Acheiver dghtr) is really doing good I had to get her away from the feed bucket asshe was getting fat quick, I had her and the other hfr together getting ready for the sale but had to move her to pasture and Ai'd her She is wieghing 900# and framed a high 4 the other day when I had her carcass scanned anxiously waiting resaults as I feel she will have positive numbers maybe a little too fat, just because she is such a easy keeper.
L Day (DFF)

The reasoning behind Stewart is we are going on a recomendation from the breeder of the 2nd heifer, plus his low birth weight. Right now we can't afford to buy 5 straws of 2 different bulls, but we have a friend that has extra Top Secret semen, so we aren't sure on the 242 heifer yet.Thanks for all the positive comments. The 242 heifer is the one we bought at Thompson's last spring and I posted her picture in the cattle sale forum under the Thompson thread. She has come along way. They are both Sept. heifers and the Bellis one was 150-200 lbs heavier than the 242 one about 6 wks ago. She doesn't show it in the pictures.

DFF":1xte1dj3 said:
Did you get both of these from the JDB sale? Did you see my Legend x19D sale heifer on our website?

DFF, would you mind sending me a link to your website? I would love to have a look.

Thanks,
Alan

Showmom, I also like that 242 heifer, nice looking stock. I too think you have many better choices to AI to out there. Would you mind, posting her EPD's? CE, BW, WW, YW, MM, M&G, REA, and marbling, (or a link to the AHA page, if you feel it doesn't give out too much of your personal info). I bet you could get some good suggestions for an AI sire, with easy to obtain semen. Your ABS rep has a pretty good line up of Hereford bulls.

I (should) have three 242 calves coming next spring, which seems like for ever away, but I'm pretty excited them.

Nice cattle,
Alan

Latest posts