Herdbuilder Bred Heifer Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

jscunn

Reaction score
Held August 30 2019 in Uniontown Al @ Alabama Livestock Auction

First of all my hats off to Jimmy Sealy and the crew at Alabama Livestock Auction. They always seem to have the place in really good shape for the sale. Great people to work with, I really appreciate they let us use the facility for this sale. Kevan Tucker and the rest of the extension personnel really work hard before and at the sale to support the consignors and the buyers. I feel fortunate we get to participate in this sale and work with such a great group of extension professionals. I complain about sale order every year but I wouldn't want that job for any amount of money.. :lol:

276 bred heifers grossed $462,576 to average $1676. That number was off by about $175 per head from the last 2 years.
The cattle market has had some issues over the last month (Tyson Fire) and this sale is extremely sensitive to market influences.
The high selling pen was a set of Oct 2017 tiger stripes bred to calve starting in December for $2500 sold by Carey Cauthen from Montgomery, AL (I think) Carey always brings a bunch of really shiny F1 Brahman x (Angus or Herefords) bred to Angus bulls. Carey brought 24 head and averaged over $2150 on his heifers.
The Brahman crossed heifers did better on the average than the Angus and the SimAngus heifers this year. It might change next year who knows. Lots of good Simangus heifers were a bargain this year.

This is a picture of ours on sale day.

I was talking to the sale manager this evening, found out they live streamed the sale on facebook on the Alabama Beef Systems Extension page. If anyone is interested, our pen started selling at 35:00 minutes in.