Herbicide question - Bentazon + MCPA

Help Support CattleToday:

whitewing

Reaction score
What the heck is it?

Sold here under the name of Basagran MS60. Told it was for broadleaf but I really need some more details on the stuff. I can look it up in Spanish, but frankly, my eyes will probably bleed trying to read it. :D

Anyone?

Straight Basagran works amazing on canada thistle and yellow nutsedge. It controls broadleaf well in corn and soybeans, But I have not a clue what the MCPA is for.

whitewing":9vaan6wv said:
Will it harm my bermuda in any way?
The basagran will not hurt established bermuda, but like I said I know nothing about MCPA.

Found this via google.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MCPA

MCPA is used as an herbicide, generally as its salt or esterified forms. Used thus, it controls broadleaf weeds, including thistle and dock, in cereal crops and pasture. It is selective for plants with broad leaves, and this includes most deciduous trees. Clovers are tolerant at moderate application levels. It is currently classified as a restricted use pesticide in the United States. Its toxicity and biodegradation are topics of current research. One formulation is described by its manufacturer as "designed for specific markets that require the safest possible phenoxy product, primarily for use in the Pacific Northwest".[4] Though not extremely toxic,[5] it has recently been determined that MCPA can form complexes with metal ions and thereby increase their bioavailability,[6] though there is also work being done to utilize this ability.[7]

According to the footnotes in that wiki article, Ortho's Weed-Be-Gone, a very popular lawn weed killer here in the US, also contains MCPA. It is not restricted-anyone can by Weed-be-gone at Walmart, Lowes or anywhere else.
Weed-be-gone Specimen label says not to use it on either San Augustine or Bahia Grass lawns. Bahia is not a broadleaf plant tho. Bahia is very similar in appearance to coastal bermuda grass, and other bermudas, except common bermuda grows closer to the ground than Bahaia.

Latest posts