Help/

Help Support CattleToday:

newmcdonald

Reaction score
hey everyone! I'm pretty new to farming/ranching etc.(as you can tell by the name) :oops: I would like to purchase a calf and eventually have it slaughtered for beef. My grandparents had cows when I was a child so I know a little bout them, but still very little seeing that now I'm quite a bit older. Is there any specific breed of beefcow that I should purchase? I also plan on raising some pigs also for slaughter eventually. I have aot of questions about these subjects so any tidbits or links or other types of information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :D :D

As someone else will be sure to point out, this is my opinion:
For an all-round combination of beef quality, efficiency, and gentleness, it will be hard to beat a Hereford. My second choice would be an Angus of either color, and third Shorthorn. Of course many breeds will work if fed properly. I would tend to think that you are too far North for the Brahman influence to work for you very well. Herefordbeef.org is a good website. Good luck!

Thanks for the info GWH. Plus, whats the usual cost for a calf? I thought maybe the stock show here would be a good idea, but most of the ones there are show an are several thousand dollars. LOL I swear, I have around 1800 questions about all of this since I'm gonna be a first timer at this. Luckly, there is the internet and smart ppl like you guys to take pitty on me! LOL

Most beef calves are sold after weaning. That means they will weigh anywhere from 400 - 800#. Feeders are bringing $1+ at most markets. I raise Simmentals, so of course I think that would be a good steer to finish out. But, any really good muscled healthy steer should work for you. MOST of the flavor/tenderness comes from how they are fed & raised.

Thanks Jeanne! but yet another pondering question that I have also, what is the best kind of way to feed? we do have a very small pasture that it will graze on but I figure mainly grain or something else since the pasture is so small. I do have a neighbor who said I could put my steer out with his cows once I get one since they have a large area. I feel kinda stupid asking all of these questions that everyone else would know! LOL maybe I'll just stick to chickens...lol

greenwillowherefords said:
As someone else will be sure to point out, this is my opinion:
My second choice would be an Angus of either color, and third Shorthorn. Of course many breeds will work if fed properly.

Another choice would be the angus/shorthorn cross Murray Grey! ;-) :cboy:

newmcdonald":3876u75j said:
Thanks Jeanne! but yet another pondering question that I have also, what is the best kind of way to feed? we do have a very small pasture that it will graze on but I figure mainly grain or something else since the pasture is so small. I do have a neighbor who said I could put my steer out with his cows once I get one since they have a large area. I feel kinda stupid asking all of these questions that everyone else would know! LOL maybe I'll just stick to chickens...lol
Depends on what you are trying to produce in the end product. If you are looking for "grass fed beef", than you can turn him out with the cows. You might have a finished animal by 24-30 months old.
If you're looking for western style "grain fed" beef, (which is the only beef I would eat), than you are looking at about $300 worth of grain fed to him, and he could be finished at about 14-16 months old. An experienced feeder can finish cattle at 12-14 months old. I would recommend feeding WHOLE shell corn with a protein pellet, so that he is getting about a 14% protein ration. When (if) you purchase a calf, just let him eat hay/grass for first two days, than feed him 1% of his body weight in grain split in two feedings. (600# calf = 3# grain in AM & 3# grain in PM) Every 7 days you can increase it a little until he is eating all he wants each feeding, without feed left over in the bunk by the next feeding time. (should consume about 3% of his current body weight) As he grows, decrease the amount of protein pellets & increase the amount of whole shell corn. Rule of thumb - 550-800# calf needs 14% protein; 800-1050# needs 12%; and 1050# to finish needs 10%.

thanks for the info springer and jeanne, thanks alot too! I think I might just go for grain, I looked over the small pasture that I have and its pretty shoddy so not much grazing can be done. :D

TYTY Jeanne for the clarification. I will most likely hafta feed hay or alfalfa. I got a close look at the small pasture and its terrible condition, mainly about 80% of it being dirt an the rest some type of grass/weed.

newmcdonald":26by70hq said:
TYTY Jeanne for the clarification. I will most likely hafta feed hay or alfalfa. I got a close look at the small pasture and its terrible condition, mainly about 80% of it being dirt an the rest some type of grass/weed.
You DO NOT want to feed Alfalfa. Good grass hay is best.

Legume hay (alfalfa & clover) are much higher in protein - steer does not need it. They will possibly give the calf very loose stool, but mainly its a cost factor. Alfalfa hay generally costs much more than good grass hay. We only feed grass hay to our showstring also. You are feeding hay to keep their stomach healthy.

Just my two cents because I really like designing and working with pastures... I'd suggest plowing up and replanting the greater part of that area in a good quality grass/legume combination.

Reason #1 - It's not much use now anyways and is just costing you money in feed costs... Use what little area you need to grain/grass hay feed 'em and improve the rest... then you really have something.

Touch base with your local university/county extension agents and they'll really be happy to advise you one-on-one. Get soil tests done now so you'll know how to approach the growing season in your area.

Happy New Year... Richard

Latest posts