Help! Yellowstone park

Help Support CattleToday:

farmguy

Reaction score
We have a problem. We were going to spend time in Glacier national park and booked lodging for next week in Kalispell. We can cancel 24 hours in advance, a real possibility with the fires. Now plan B is to go to the Yellowstone area but we don't want to book two places. My odd question is are there small motels not on the web that can be had near the park this time of year if we decide to cancel Glacier and have difficulty finding a reasonable motel on the web. I really want to go through Miles City and see the Line 1 stock. I know this is an odd question but hoping someone knows the area. thanks farmguy

I lived in Wyoming and Montana from 1980 until 2005. At which time I moved to Denver. I must have been through Yellowstone about 50 to 60 times. Stayed almost in every lodge. Shot a 6 point elk just north of the park.

After labor day, tourism slows to a crawl. You will be able to find a motel. If you are going in the north entrance check Gardiner.

If you are coming from Miles City, you may not be using that entrance - if you have further questions, please state what entrance you think you will be using. The east entrance has motels in Cody.

I want to add:

As much as I enjoy Glacier, don't be disappointed that Yellowstone is Plan B. Yellowstone has more wildlife to view. If you have never been to either park - may I recommend Yellowstone. The two waterfalls are SPECTACULAR. The bison on the Yellowstone River floodplains are fantastic. You will love it this time of year. Not as many tourists.

farmguy":1a6l8y7r said:
We would be going in by Cody, thanks

Don't miss the Cody Museum of the West. You will also be following the Shoshone River as you enter from the east. There will be motels in Cody. You might want to make reservations at least a day in advance.

We were going to Yellowstone next week but the wife has some issues going on with her knee that make traveling for her difficult. I have been to both parks a number of times. Given a choice between the two, Yellowstone wins hands down. If you go through Cody be sure to check out the museum. And allow plenty of time there. A person could easily spend a whole day in that museum.

Bright Raven":1ild7sqp said:
farmguy":1ild7sqp said:
We would be going in by Cody, thanks

Don't miss the Cody Museum of the West. You will also be following the Shoshone River as you enter from the east. There will be motels in Cody. You might want to make reservations at least a day in advance.
We stayed in Jackson the night before drove through Yellowstone on May 31st. Stayed in Cody that night avoiding the $300 a night stays inside the park. Course Jackson wasn't all that inexpensive either but it was a destination for the wife.

I'd say pass on the urge to stop and see Old Settlers Town in Cody. Just a bunch of hundred year old dusty rotten rusty stuff in sad shape. Bufalo Bill Dam is an interesting stop.

The museum in Cody is spectacular. Allow a full day for that and for messing around Cody. I would also visit Little Big Horn. Try to visit when a park ranger is doing a narrative of the battle. It was one of the highlights of my trip a few years back.

Stay in Cody and get up early for the drive to Yellowstone. Its a beautiful drive just getting tot the park.

We stayed in Cooke City MT at the northern entrance and loved it. That was in the mid 90s and they had a restaurant, motel, bar, and a post office, and that was about it. My kind of place.

hillbilly beef man":8ej1p5ck said:
We stayed in Cooke City MT at the northern entrance and loved it. That was in the mid 90s and they had a restaurant, motel, bar, and a post office, and that was about it. My kind of place.

That is a cool place. That is the northeast entrance.

Thanks to all for the help, we had a great time. Fort Keogh was great and the staff was most helpful

Latest posts