Help..when to sell??

Help Support CattleToday:

weezer1

Reaction score
I have 30 Angus yearlings (500-600 lbs) and this will be my first experience in selling cattle. I am from the eastern South Dakota area, and plan on selling them through a livestock auction in the area. Could anyone lend any information as to when to sell. Historical trends, past experience, online info, etc.
Thank you
Don

The sale before or the sale after I sell them seems to be the best prices by my experience. :x

Really, most of the time the price varies to compensate for the cost to get cattle to that size at that time. Trying to outguess the market usually doesn't work. Waiting gives you more pounds, but the cost goes up as you continue to feed, while the price goes down as the calves get heavier. You also run the risk of having one hurt or getting sick.

There are probably smarter folks than me who can tell you just what to do when, but that's been my experience.

Around my parts, when calves get past that 600# range they take a dive down in price per lb. Just depends on what your'e doing with em whether your feeding them or they're just grazing. Just do what you can afford.

Like they said it is hard to guess the market swings, but right now with corn at $4.50 soybeans at $11.50 a bushel it is going to put pressure on the cattle market.

With calves at 500-600 pounds you have crossed over in to the world of cattle feeder. They are probably the biggest gamblers in the ag business.

To feed or to sell depends on your feed supply and your state of mind (Do I feed them or not) It could almost drive a guy crazy trying to decide.

P.S. I still have my calves I usually keep them till around March.
Will I keep them that long this year? I do not know.

This reminds me of a story

Some years ago a farmer was feeding his calves out there were fat ready to go but the market had dropped real low he was hopeing the market would pick up again so he keep feeding them.

He was talking to his neighbor one day, he told his neighbor

It would not be so bad except every night when he goes to bed about ready to fall asleep his wife tugs on his night shirt and says
"WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT THE CATTLE"

weezer1":d8icx8pd said:
I have 30 Angus yearlings (500-600 lbs) and this will be my first experience in selling cattle. I am from the eastern South Dakota area, and plan on selling them through a livestock auction in the area. Could anyone lend any information as to when to sell. Historical trends, past experience, online info, etc.
Thank you
Don
Okay nobody else wants to take a crack at this I might as well. Yearlings at 500-600# Either your genetics suck or they are starving. Either way you don't want to keep them.

sewall":ovmn30yj said:
Around my parts, when calves get past that 600# range they take a dive down in price per lb. Just depends on what your'e doing with em whether your feeding them or they're just grazing. Just do what you can afford.

The price of feed has driven the prices higher on larger calves lately.

800-900 lb calves bring about what 500-600 lb calves bring here per lb for about the last 3-4 months.

Traditionally feeder cattle prices are the highest in the spring and lowest in the late fall. There are regional differences and differences in years but long term that is the trend. How it will be this year? If I had that crystal ball I would be rich.

I sell calves regularly and March brings the highest prices on calves of the year (October brings the lowest). I live in Louisiana, but I think the market stays pretty consistent throughout. Good luck! ;-)

Because I do not know when to sell or buy keeps me broke. I will agree with a previous post my experience and have gotten the higher pay check is to wait until end of February or March.
I haven't sold any calves from 2007 yet. Our local barn records show for the past 5 years September has the higher price. Now if they weight 750 to 800 they are wanted and a good price. Next week there may be a different trend.