Help to prevent scours

Help Support CattleToday:

branguscowgirl

Reaction score
With all the posts lately about "scour help" I thought that this might be helpful to some.
I have been using Calf Guard in my newborns for years, and (knock on wood) have never dealt with a case of scours. I realize that it may not be of benefit to those of you buying "bottle calves", but possibly some benefit to those calving. Product information below.
Calf-Guard
Other products by Zoetis
* Stimulates rapid, active immunity against two of the most common forms of scours: Rotavirus and Coronavirus
* Can be given orally to newborn calves or IM to pregnant cows
Calf-Guard oral vaccine is for the immunization of healthy newborn calves and pregnant cows in controlling diarrhea caused by Bovine Rotavirus and Coronavirus.

Dosage: For active immunization, rehydrate and administer Calf Guard orally, 3 ml to newborn calves. For passive protection of calves, vaccinate cows in last quarter of pregnancy with two 3 ml Intarmuscular vaccinations 3-6 weeks apart. 21 day slaughter withdrawal. U.S. Lic. No. 189.

I've never used it, I give ScourGard to the cows about 6 week before the first one drops... 20 years ago we had about 8 calves very sick with scours and lost 3 of them.. Now I have one case about every 3-4 years (1%) and haven't lost one since.. It really worked for us.

Latest posts