HELP PLEASE!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Drzr

Reaction score
November 7,2014 vet called my 5 yo Grey Brahman 7-8 months TODAY she was taking bull.

Some animals are receptive anytime. I had a mare one time that would stand every time she was around a stud and was big as a barrel with foal.

I've noticed some of mine riding one that is a day or two from calving but I didn't have a bull in with them might want to get her up and check her

If she was called 7 or 8 months November 7th, she should have calved by now, or at least look like she is pretty darn close with a full bag and loose vulva.
Sounds like you need to put a glove on and do a rectal. IF she is pregnant, you should feel the baby without a problem... It might even try to bite you!

Fire Sweep Ranch":3c4webf2 said:
If she was called 7 or 8 months November 7th, she should have calved by now, or at least look like she is pretty darn close with a full bag and loose vulva.
Sounds like you need to put a glove on and do a rectal. IF she is pregnant, you should feel the baby without a problem... It might even try to bite you!

Thanks to ALL responses! But Firesweep you make a lot of sense. She has somewhat enlarged vulva but she does not have full bag.

Drzr":2393h42p said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":2393h42p said:

Thanks to ALL responses! But Firesweep you make a lot of sense. She has somewhat enlarged vulva but she does not have full bag.

Enlarged vulva could be from being in heat and being bred. I would glove up...

skeeter swatter":9se6cy61 said:
If you do not know how to palpate do NOT go sticking your hands inside her.
You do it rectally.. yes glove up
There's a first time for everything, and with how far along she should be you shouldn't have any trouble feeling the calf.

That being said, we did have a cow that was in flaming heat 2 months before she calved...

Fire Sweep Ranch":2ga94rog said:

I have to ask. Why does the cow need to be palpated? If she was 7 to 8 months pregnant on November 7th it is just now getting time for her to calve. Still could be 2 to 3 weeks away depending on how accurate the person who did the palpation was. Why not just be patient and wait till the time has past. Are you thinking something could be wrong or are you only satisfying your curiosity? It seems to me like it would be less risky waiting than putting her in the chute.

Latest posts