Help needed on picking steer/cow for processing

Help Support CattleToday:

chadreed88

Reaction score
I have never had my own cattle processed but do to the rising meat prices I'm thinking about doing it for the first time. Have a few questions about it so if you can help me out either send a message or reply on this topic page.
1. What is better a steer or a cow?
2. What is the best breed of cattle to process?
3. How old should they be when processed?
4. How long should they be fed out before being processed?

If there is anything else you would like to add about this please do. Thanks for your help

Boy are you gonna stir up a hornets nest. There are as many different opinions on this one as their are people reading it.

Maybe go to your local butcher and ask him where some of the finest beef comes from locally. Give them a call and put your order in. This option will be better quality and pound for pound less expensive than the grocery.

Michele

popcorn.gif

chadreed88":15y85d4e said:
I have never had my own cattle processed but do to the rising meat prices I'm thinking about doing it for the first time. Have a few questions about it so if you can help me out either send a message or reply on this topic page.
1. What is better a steer or a cow?

I prefer a steer to a cow - reason being is that use of muscles is generally what leads to tough cuts of meat.

2. What is the best breed of cattle to process?

That depends entirely on what breed the person you are asking is raising. :lol: :lol: I've ate Angus, and I prefer Murray Grey. No experience with Hereford, or any of the other breeds - although that is fixing to change here shortly. ;-)

3. How old should they be when processed?

We liked to butcher them at around 18 months to 2 years.

4. How long should they be fed out before being processed?

We've fed them out on corn for roughly 90 days, and we've grass finished them (back when we had the grass to do it), can't tell much difference, so it's up to you.

If there is anything else you would like to add about this please do. Thanks for your help

A steer or open heifer would be my choice , our calves finish at 14-17 months , I have simmental crosses , but most beef breeds should work fine as long as they were well taken care of. Holsteins that were fed right also make good beef. Our steers are put on grain afrer weaning at about 7 months until slaughter. Maybe you should check if someone local sells freezer beef and start out with a half or quarter and try that , then you will *know if you like the breed he has and how it was fed instead of buying a whole animal.

i would pick the one i thought would do the worst at the sale barn every one always has a cull or most the time they do. so if you have a calf that dont look as good as the others or a open cow would be my choice.

We keep back our own steers and butcher them at 2 years of age.
We finish them out ourselves. They are normally at around 600 lbs plus after processing. the biggest we ever had was a 3 year old that finished out at over 900 lbs.
One thing not mentioned here was you can have it cut any way you want. Think of what you normally do not buy in the store and have it done. Forgot my prime rib in my last cutting. :cry:

hillrancher":3b8gwnqf said:
Eat the biggest out- law and fence jumper on the ranch. You will enjoy every bite of it.
:clap: I have to agree or like someone else said the one that won't sell as good at the salebarn.