HELP--Mice nested in car

Help Support CattleToday:

farm princess

Reaction score
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone has ever had a nest of mice in your car (actually several nests) and what one could do to get rid of the smell. Think that all the mice are gone but the smell is still real bad. Any help????
;-)

yeah that happened to mom once. she wound up getting a new car.

another time my sisters boyfriend was helping bring in the groceries and he left a bag of frozen chicken in the trunk. found it a few days later and that also resulted in the selling of said car.

good luck.

Beefy":157qje8d said:
another time my sisters boyfriend was helping bring in the groceries and he left a bag of frozen chicken in the trunk. found it a few days later and that also resulted in the selling of said car.

good luck.

:shock: :shock: I'll bet it did. :lol: :lol: :lol:

farm princess":1883uyiz said:
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone has ever had a nest of mice in your car (actually several nests) and what one could do to get rid of the smell. Think that all the mice are gone but the smell is still real bad. Any help????
;-)

Catch a skunk and put it in the car for the weekend. You'll never smell those pesky mice again.

I've got a whole herd of mice in one of my farm trucks. We get along good, I just can't leave chewing gum in the truck, they eat it wrapper and all. I'm just dying to see a mouse blow a bubble out his butt.

cfpinz

farm princess":z3fxr9n5 said:
;-)

Princess - Go to your local autoparts store and they will have a deodorizer that has a hose attached to it. You slide this hose into the air vents and give it a shot of something that smells much better than mouse. Can also buy this online - not sure of the name.

Catch a skunk and put it in the car for the weekend. You'll never smell those pesky mice again.

:lol: That would do it. Honestly though, if you still smell it then you have have at least one mouse and if it gets real rank then you have a dead mouse and the smell of that could last for months and months if you don't find it and remove it.

There are lots of good mouse traps, some with glue... some that you bait with peanut butter... use them inside the vehicle and under the vehicle especially if you keep the car in a garage.
Its so much better to catch them BEFORE they die.

If it smells that bad then you most likely have a dead mouse in there. Usually after we clean out a nest in one of the trucks we use the air compressor hose in there to blow out all the other stuff (mouse turds, leftover nest, whatever) out.
Back to the dead mouse, you might have to gut out the whole interior (seats, rugs, everything) just to find the stupid thing. You might want to look in the air vents of your car while you're at it. And the traps and some poison are a must after all that, though I've only known to use a block or two of mouse/rat poison placed conspicuously around in the vehicles at my place.
I hate being spooked from hearing the snap of a mouse trap whilst I'm driving! :lol: ;-)
My 2 cents.

the smell is almost a urine smell--I think that all the mices are gone but left something to remember them by!!! and I really have to say no-thanks to the skunk!!!! My mom loves the smell but I don't---hum maybe try the skunk and trade cars with mom for several months :lol:

;-)

farm princess":jldzw7rh said:
the smell is almost a urine smell--I think that all the mices are gone but left something to remember them by!!! and I really have to say no-thanks to the skunk!!!! My mom loves the smell but I don't---hum maybe try the skunk and trade cars with mom for several months :lol:

;-)
If you do try the skunk be sure to wear heavy gloves when you handle it. They can have rabies.

Ryder":uvjms84o said:
farm princess":uvjms84o said:

;-)
If you do try the skunk be sure to wear heavy gloves when you handle it. They can have rabies.

Yeah, and be sure to pick him up by the tail so he won't spray you.

Get a can of Lysol or other strong disinfectent. With the engine on and the A/C blower set to high, roll up all the windows and get out. Spray the Lysol into the fresh air intake intake screen located just below the windshield on the outside.
After a few minutes, turn it off and roll the windows down. Later, vacuum and clean the interior and spray down with Fabrez.

You might try hosing down the interior of the vehicle with a strong vinegar and water solution - the usual mix is about 1/4 cup of vinegar to about a half of a 5-quart bucket of water. I haven't met anything yet that vinegar will not neutralize.

pet stores sell a REAL deoderizer that REALLY kills smells - not just tries to cover with something else. I don't remember the brand name - odor-b-gone or something like that.

Also a dilute spray of clorox MIGHT work if you can get it to the spot that smells.

Another fair deoderizer is a fresh can of comet - again you have to be able to get the powder ON the actual place where the smell is (duster? somekind of blower?) - basically dry clorox and white powder. Probably wouldn't be that usefull in car vents, but for future reference.

farm princess":3o3fjh4o said:

;-)
It is the mouse urine that you are smelling. I can't understand for the life of me why mice chose to urinate in their nests but they do. Try to find the nest and remove it. In most of our feedwagon tractors we use moth crystals they are like moth balls but they are in a crystal form they come in a can and apparently that smell is as offensive to mice as the urine is to you. The crystals don't smell the same as the moth balls do they almost smell like toilet bowl cleaner or something like that. I say most of our tractors because one feedwagon tractor we have a 186 iH has never had a mouse in it ever. Mice must not like Internationals as well as Deere's and Allis Chalmers. Or maybe they just haven't found a way into the cab yet. You may not however like this smell in your car we really don't mind in the tractor it is the smell of toilet bowl cleaner or cow ****. 6 in one hand half dozen in the other. But if you don't mind the smell give it a try. Also give this a try. http://www.lindacomm.net/CraneCreek/Sea ... nt+Pouches
They work too.

If you want to get rid of the mouse smell, wait until you have several days of 100 degree weather. Then pour about one half gallon of milk in the trunk and let it sit for several days. (Don't try this at home, professionals only please) Your mouse smell should be taken care of -- now, how do you get rid of the sour milk smell????? Refer to the advise from some of the previous post.

bol

fly-guy

Quote of the day: The beatings will continue until moral improves.

Latest posts