Help Identifying This Fruit

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
This is growing volunteer in an unmaintained area of a friend's property.

564307_10151028154546784_608286910_.jpg

She says it's about the size of a large lemon. The meat looks squash like and is sweet with a good taste. They described the seeds as melon like and the kid said they tasted like sweat socks. :lol2: The vine has a little fuzz on it.

262824_10151028360176784_390535156_.jpg

Someone suggested Lemon Cucumbers but they say there's no lemon flavor. That's all the description I can get as I've not personally seen the fruit.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-5815-lemon.aspx

I'm trying to find a better pic of the whole plant. I used to have some pics of my own plants, but can't seem to find them. The plant itself looks like any other cucumber though.
They don't taste like lemons, they only look like them. They're a fairly sweet heirloom variety. The fruit in your pic is overripe though.

CottageFarm":2msxwyub said:
Looks like a lemon cucumber. Do you have pics of the leaves?

Sorry, no leaves were on it when their kid found them, probably why they are overripe. I'm not familiar with a lemon cucumber so I was no help. Thanks for yours, tho. I'll let them know.

They're an open pollinated variety that self sows pretty easily. They're really tasty, but very small.
They were mostly a novelty for my customers, so due to space contraints, I decided not to grow any this year.
Tell your friends to pick whatever is left and enjoy them. They should feel pretty firm and heavy for their size.
If they're at all soft, don't bother with them. They also don't hold for very long. Couple of days max.

Evidently this was in an area that they don't mow and was a surprise to them when their child found them. I bet they check it next year, tho.

I don't know the name of them, but the ones growing wild around here look like mini green striped watermelons before turning yellow. The ones I've seen are not edible.

Looks like a passion fruit, aka may pop. Look for the vine around fence line in early summer. Has a very pretty flower. Great vine for caterpillar that makes the butterflies.
When I was a kid they were fun to throw at each other.

Latest posts