Help any advice

Help Support CattleToday:

Springfieldsimm

Reaction score
We had a calf that was born in the mud. When I found it. it was almost covered in mud with barely its head sticking out. Took it to the barn and tried for a few hours warming it with blankets, hair dryer and an electric heater. That wasn't making much of a difference so we put it in a tub of warm water. We had to change the water a few times but after about 2 hours her temperature was finally in the upper 90s. I don't know how cold she was when we started because the thermometer just said lo. 😬 We tube fed it colostrum around midnight. Yesterday morning she would get up and walk but still didn't want to suck so we tubed her again with 2 quarts of milk replacer and put her in the barn with her mom. She was up and moving throughout the day and at one point I seen her search mom for the udder but she never sucked so we tubed her again (Yes we did try milking the cow but she kicked to kill so we gave up on that). This morning she is lethargic and can barely walk. She doesn't have a fever and I gave her a shot of draxxin as a precaution Friday night. Something I am missing here or will it just take some time for her to come around or maybe it's a lost cause 🤷🏽‍♂️
IMG_1877.jpeg

Make sure they are warmed up when you tube them. A belly full of milk that cannot be digested is not good.
I have saved a good number of calves this way. Even more experience with lambs that were chilled and appeared as good as dead. We bring them in the house and lay them by the wood stove and tube them after they have warmed up. It takes awhile but usually they just appear to come to life and are ready to nurse when we take them back to their moms.
Some are just too far gone but where their is breath there is hope. Sounds like a good effort on your part. Someone on this board may have a better handle on this than I do.

Agree with @Logan52 ... they have got to be warmed up for the tubing to do much good... and it does sound like you are doing everything you can... as long as she is breathing, you have a chance... She has to have the will to live.... try a calf coat or duct tape an old cut up blanket around her to conserve her body heat also will help. I never used calf coats in the past, but when I got a set of small twins from a farm, and saw them drinking the bottle but shivering, I got a couple calf coats and it really helped to keep their core body heat up and they did so much better. This set of twins was tubed for 3 days by the farmer and they finally started drinking... but when I got them, he told me to see how they did before he would let me pay for them... he did not expect them to live I guess.. but they are doing good.
I feed colostrum replacer if there is none of the "real stuff" available... and give it to them for 2-3 feedings...
Sounds like you are doing all the right things....

Last edited: