Hells half acre

Help Support CattleToday:

holly heifer

Reaction score
:( Lost a young cow yesterday-- We pulled a breech large
dead calf ( was delivered fairly easily) she then on her own delivered a live small calf, and all seemed well. An hour later
cow was down- EVERYTHING had prolasped, blood was every where,and the calf had yet to nurse. Got the vet, and 3 of us
shoved the uterus back in the cow, just about then she expired. All of us covered in blood, poop, urine and placenta.
I milked the colustrum from the now dead cow( she was a
gentle favorite--- made it that much harder) The calf did
take a pint of the colustrum. Vet gave it selinium and vitamins.
Midnight calf took the rest of the colustrum, this am still had not passed the meconium, so I gave her an enema and it worked like a charm ;-) Went home at 10:00am and she took a pint of milk. Calf might weigh 40 lbs. Sire was reg hereford,
mom was simmental. I have had enough this year, already! :x
First sis's cows, then mine and now dads! We have a bunch more to deliver!!!!! :shock:

Oh no.. so sorry to hear about your loss! I haven't heard of that much difference in a set of twins.. that's very strange.

Always hard when you lose the favorites. I've shipped four cows last week, one of which was a favorite for over 15 years.

Hopefully the rest of your season will be worry free!

holly heifer":34b4jwtu said:
:( Lost a young cow yesterday-- We pulled a breech large
dead calf ( was delivered fairly easily) she then on her own delivered a live small calf, and all seemed well. An hour later
cow was down- EVERYTHING had prolasped, blood was every where,and the calf had yet to nurse. Got the vet, and 3 of us
shoved the uterus back in the cow, just about then she expired. All of us covered in blood, poop, urine and placenta.
I milked the colustrum from the now dead cow( she was a
gentle favorite--- made it that much harder) The calf did
take a pint of the colustrum. Vet gave it selinium and vitamins.
Midnight calf took the rest of the colustrum, this am still had not passed the meconium, so I gave her an enema and it worked like a charm ;-) Went home at 10:00am and she took a pint of milk. Calf might weigh 40 lbs. Sire was reg hereford,
mom was simmental. I have had enough this year, already! :x
First sis's cows, then mine and now dads! We have a bunch more to deliver!!!!! :shock:
that vet should have known it was too late when the artery burst thats why its important to get it back in as soon as possible.sorry about your luck .

:( I work in an er and I could tell she was shocky and on her way out. I wanted to euthanize her, but the vet wanted to try
. It was one of the horrid unfortunate things that happen once
in a while. If we had maybe checked her sooner??? But only 1 hour had elasped from the time she seemed fine to this total
prolaspe and hemorrige. (mispelled) :( One just never knows:::

Had one afew years ago got it in the chute pulled the calf every thing was fine went to wash up came back she was turned inside out. thank GOD she did it in the chute it was late and i was gonna turn her out with her calf and go home. that would have been a nightmare :hat:

You're not alone, nature takes its course on us all. I've lost some good stock this year as well but I've learned to accept what mother nature deals me and to learn from the ones I bring upon myself. Keep your head high, attitude determines your altitude, and best of luck!

:lol: orphan calf is doing well. Had another new calf lastpm
It was an easy normal birth. :lol: Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Sorry about your troubles Holly, it seems prolapses can go different ways, and arteries bustin happens in more than a few.

Sounds like you did everything possible and then some.

We can't be with them 24 hours a day.

I shouldn't be saying this out loud ( does it count as out loud in here? ) but calving has gone real smooth since I had a prolapse here.

One heifer I woulda bet money was gonna give me a problem, so I was watching her closely. The neighbour kid runs up to the kitchen door while I am eating and yells in " One of your cows has a baby sticking out it's bum!!! ". So I go out and there is the calf on the ground, the new cow standing there is the one I was worried about!!

I am sure your luck will change as well! :D

( And it sounds like you have a great vet, as I do, we are lucky ).

:shock: Wreck is a very good description! ;-) So far---
no more disasters! We have a couple of first timers we are watching like hawks! :roll:

holly heifer":2mmhwwxs said:
:shock: Wreck is a very good description! ;-) So far---
no more disasters! We have a couple of first timers we are watching like hawks! :roll:

Holly I am very sorry you had these bad experiences. I have been following this link. It is so strange that you have cows who never had problems and all of the sudden something goes wrong when you don't expect it. Then you have one you are genuinely concerned about who has no problems calving at all.

The bright side of this is that I see you are "watching like hawks". We have all learned things the hard way from time to time. Sometimes you can do everything right, and still fail. Other times you are caught off guard and everything works out fine. It sounds like you are better prepared mentally. Good. Good luck too. Persistence always pays off.

Latest posts