heifers vs bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas Gal

Reaction score
Has anybody else had a bunch of heifers born the last two years ( 2006-2007)? We've had almost 86% heifers this year and over 75% last year. Same bull, same set of cows. Just wondering if it's drought related; I can't remember any words of wisdom from my dear, departed daddy on this topic. :)

Well, we're not drought related.
We had 2/3 bulls last year (and we generally always have more heifers than bulls)
We are just getting started - have 6 heifers & 2 bulls so far - loving it!!! (and 3 fall heifers out of 3) Got 27 left between now & March 25 (about)

We're about 75% bulls this year. Been the other way before. I have to think something influences it, but I don't know what.

Texas Gal":1gc66549 said:
Has anybody else had a bunch of heifers born the last two years ( 2006-2007)? We've had almost 86% heifers this year and over 75% last year. Same bull, same set of cows. Just wondering if it's drought related; I can't remember any words of wisdom from my dear, departed daddy on this topic. :)
man your the lucky 1.youve got what i call a heifer bull.an thats a bull that sires mostly heifers.how long have you had that bull.most bulls are 50/50 bulls to heifers.an some bulls throw alot of bulls calves.

Bigbull338, this is the third calf crop I've had out of this bull; the first one was pretty much 50/50. My brother had the bull for three years before me with the usual 50/50 split. I hope the old boy holds up for several more years - he stays at home, is easy to handle and throws wonderful calves. He's 7 this spring but still in sound in his feet/legs and stays in good condition in the pasture.

Texas Gal":5f2ne88c said:
Bigbull338, this is the third calf crop I've had out of this bull; the first one was pretty much 50/50. My brother had the bull for three years before me with the usual 50/50 split. I hope the old boy holds up for several more years - he stays at home, is easy to handle and throws wonderful calves. He's 7 this spring but still in sound in his feet/legs and stays in good condition in the pasture.
sounds like he has 2 or 3 more good years left.

I would much rather have bulls than heifers. bulls grow faster and bring more money.

Last year the first 50 calves only 12 heifers, next 50, 35 were heifers. :?:

mnmtranching":35de4nk7 said:
I would much rather have bulls than heifers. bulls grow faster and bring more money.

And I totally understand that, if you are selling all your calves by the pound.
But in my case, I sell breeding stock, mainly heifers - by the head. So, everytime I have a male born, I figure I lost an average of $1000. Well, that's the figure we use to use, but with the prices we've gotten for steers the last few years, that's a bit high. But, males = less money for us. They do give us quick cash flow which is real nice.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2zja582n said:
mnmtranching":2zja582n said:

And I totally understand that, if you are selling all your calves by the pound.
But in my case, I sell breeding stock, mainly heifers - by the head. So, everytime I have a male born, I figure I lost an average of $1000. Well, that's the figure we use to use, but with the prices we've gotten for steers the last few years, that's a bit high. But, males = less money for us. They do give us quick cash flow which is real nice.

Yes for sure, in your case, bring on the heifers.
I find myself wishing for heifers from top cows for replacements.

mnmtranching":2qj5mcj0 said:
Yes for sure, in your case, bring on the heifers.
I find myself wishing for heifers from top cows for replacements.

If Murphy had been a cowman, he'd have a law about soon to be culled cows having heifers while the good ones have bulls. Probably add a corollary about that great cow you want to hang on to through one more year to get another heifer ALWAYS having a bull.

How' bout this.... (keep in mind we only have a small herd) 2 years ago 75% bulls, last year 100%, we're halfway through this years and at 75% bulls again. Must be in the water. They sure are easy to sell, but not too wasy to grow the herd that way.

I have just barely started for this year but all three have been heifers. Last year I had 66% heifers. The year before the bulls out numbered the heifers by quite a bit.

Latest posts