Heifers too high to keep

Help Support CattleToday:

BC

Reaction score
I was at one of our local sale barns this week and was visiting with a gentleman who was sure proud of his check. He showed me the check and I looked at what order buyers bought the calves and for how much. I made the comment about his having sold several heifers. He told me they were all heifers, that they were his replacements. His theory was that the heifers were too high to keep. Anybody else see this happening in their area?

yeah but pairs are too high to keep also.... selling them right now pays for them and the next 2-3 calves they'd have at your place..... We're probably gunna cull real hard this year with prices up and then we've got 34 heifers in the lot to keep.

BC":20qfalmc said:
I was at one of our local sale barns this week and was visiting with a gentleman who was sure proud of his check. He showed me the check and I looked at what order buyers bought the calves and for how much. I made the comment about his having sold several heifers. He told me they were all heifers, that they were his replacements. His theory was that the heifers were too high to keep. Anybody else see this happening in their area?
Are you just waking up from a 2 year nap??? This aint something new!!! I bet everbody sees "this happening in their area" except the guys north of the 49

Yesterday, Sat. Apr. 2, 5 and 6 weight black heifers brought 1.10 to 1.20 at Fingerlakes Sale in NY. I sold four black angus steers that weighed 2393 sold for 1.31. Others brought a little more some less. There were some brahma influenced cattle in the sale yesterday which was unusual. One 643 lb. black heifer brought 89 cents, a 624 lb red brangus hfr was 82 cents, two 360 lb brought 1.15 and four 660 lb brangus brought 1.12. A buyer from OK was there, which helped I guess. Replacement cows (not brahma) bred 6 - 7 months were up to $1,000. Most around 750 or 800

Old Man":ggt8b1it said:
Replacement cows (not brahma) bred 6 - 7 months were up to $1,000. Most around 750 or 800

Time to sell them heifers and buy some young cows if you can get em for 750

Old Man":1b2lvxmk said:
Yesterday, Sat. Apr. 2, 5 and 6 weight black heifers brought 1.10 to 1.20 at Fingerlakes Sale in NY. I sold four black angus steers that weighed 2393 sold for 1.31. Others brought a little more some less. There were some brahma influenced cattle in the sale yesterday which was unusual. One 643 lb. black heifer brought 89 cents, a 624 lb red brangus hfr was 82 cents, two 360 lb brought 1.15 and four 660 lb brangus brought 1.12. A buyer from OK was there, which helped I guess. Replacement cows (not brahma) bred 6 - 7 months were up to $1,000. Most around 750 or 800

Those weight Brangus "type" heifers brought $1.20 to $1.26 at Van Zandt Livestock in East Texas. I saw a 465 lb Brangus heifer bring $1.34, the 500 lb Brangus heifers were around $1.30. Pairs brought $1000 up to $1600 depending on age and calf quality.

BC":3bp7wvna said:
Those weight Brangus "type" heifers brought $1.20 to $1.26 at Van Zandt Livestock in East Texas. I saw a 465 lb Brangus heifer bring $1.34, the 500 lb Brangus heifers were around $1.30. Pairs brought $1000 up to $1600 depending on age and calf quality.
The Brangus "type" hfrs that Old Man is talking are in New York, not E.Texas.
This is an area where this kind of cattle have virtually no demand.

Absolutely. We've only held back one heifer in the past year. When I can sell a heifer off the cow for $700 without dehorning or vacinating, I can't afford to keep them for replacements.

I promise you. .. they will go down, and then you can buy them when they are cheap!

bull lady---you are absolutelyl right. i sold my heifers for 700 off the cows and it would have been over 2 years before they would have had a calf ready to sell. I dont know when, but there will come a time when things will be alot cheaper. a bad corn year would cut the market in half as soon as the prediction got out. alot of other things would cause it, but the most likely would be opening our borders to foreign beef from brazil---they are the worlds largest beef exporter and have alot of health problems, but we might see their beef come in to lower our prices. also, the simple fact of meat in the market getting too high and consumption go down would cut our prices----lots of things and it will happen, hopefully not for awhile, but it will

The only thing that we should import from Brazil in my opinion is Coffee.It would be a sad day for all of us as Americans to bite into a Brazillian Steak. Too many issues down there for me.

Crowder, I agree completely. I also dont believe the poor quality grass beef from australia and mexico should be brought in and mixed with our good beef and sold together. That lessens the quality of our beef and people dont realize they are paying for cheap stuff from other places being mixed with ours to make it more edible.
People want to know where the food they eat comes from, but all the rules being written about COOL and other ID programs are written to make the cattlelmen rebel against them so that they dont have to implement them. Also, if they end up with labeling, it wont apply to restaraunts or certain grocery stores or most of the places that mix the beef----It should apply to everyone. When someone goes into Burger King, there should be a mandatory sign that says they serve australian and United Kingdom counties beef instead of United States beef. But, I could go on all day about that topic

Just nosey, but does anyone have an article about major food chains and where their beef comes from? I think most of us just assume that its from the good old USA but thats not the case, who buys from where???

Thanks
MD

redfornow":1dcak07g said:
Just nosey, but does anyone have an article about major food chains and where their beef comes from? I think most of us just assume that its from the good old USA but thats not the case, who buys from where???

Thanks
MD

Take Danish Baby Back Ribs, sold on average of 10 lb. boxes, at most Grocery Chains, Wal-Mart. etc. Product of Denmark. Taste like crap, horrible flavor, must be the feed they were on, I'm not sure. Also if you look on the cans of some brands of potted Meat products, they can be European, or Canned Corn Beef Hash is from of all places Uruguay, and other South American Countries.. I don't buy the stuff but I like reading the labels.Thats why I like the concept of a statement of origin on anything sold for food. I for one don't want the 3rd world touching what I eat.Not being prejudice, just making a statement. You may not be able to buy a truck or car made soley of American Parts, but by gosh you can bite into a Juicy steak made and produced soley in the good ol' USA.

I agree, there have been many debates about "feed" here on this board. One can only imagine what creative feeds are being used in third world countries. So regulation is good in some ways as it evens the playing field comparing apples to apples and oranges to well you get the idea. lol

MJ

Crowderfarms":6qyvwrjm said:
Take Danish Baby Back Ribs, sold on average of 10 lb. boxes, at most Grocery Chains, Wal-Mart. etc. Product of Denmark. Taste like be nice, horrible flavor......
But you bought them anyway, sounds like. Clearly labeled as to product and country of origin.

Crowderfarms":6qyvwrjm said:
Also if you look on the cans of some brands of potted Meat products, they can be European, or Canned Corn Beef Hash is from of all places Uruguay, and other South American Countries.. I don't buy the stuff but I like reading the labels.
Yes, look at them. Read the labels. Just look at all of them. Clearly labeled as to country of origin. Yet, the shelves are full of them. Often to the exclusion of American competitors. The shelves are full of them because the American consumer is buying them anyway. Because it's all about price to the consumer. In spite of what they say in the same old tired surveys that R-CALF and other M-COOL proponents alway quote. It's all about price.

With many of these products, you can no longer find a domestically produced competitor. Because they are no longer in business! Maybe that's the vision some of you have for domestic cattle producers?

Now, once again---read all of the labels that are already on meat products voluntarily. Then tell me how a Mandatory-COOL that excludes food service and about half of the beef supply is going to benefit us. How?

Texan":16mpwi5y said:
Crowderfarms":16mpwi5y said:
Take Danish Baby Back Ribs, sold on average of 10 lb. boxes, at most Grocery Chains, Wal-Mart. etc. Product of Denmark. Taste like be nice, horrible flavor......
But you bought them anyway, sounds like. Clearly labeled as to product and country of origin.
[

No I did not buy them. I tried them at a friend's Bar B Que. I wouldn't ever knowingly support the Agricultural Economy of a Foreign Country, especially with a beef or any other meat product.

Latest posts