heifers calfing

Help Support CattleToday:

david922

Reaction score
New raising cattle,I have 5 heifers that should calf any time.One of my heifers has a string of discharge hinging from her vagina this morning,is this a sign that she is getting ready a calf? Any info will be helpful.

Could be the mucus plug which can be seen as much as a month or 2 before calving or could be the birthing lubricant stuff that means calving is close.

The signs of impending calving are usually, separating herself form the tohers, standing up and laying down frequently, very prominant tail head, she won;t look as wide through the belly, licking the ground, general change of behaviour from normal. Some th teats will become strutted, others won;t really fill till after they calve. The surest sign is 2 feet sticking out of the back end.

dun":2db1q0z4 said:
The signs of impending calving are usually, separating herself form the tohers, standing up and laying down frequently, very prominant tail head, she won;t look as wide through the belly, licking the ground, general change of behaviour from normal. Some th teats will become strutted, others won;t really fill till after they calve. The surest sign is 2 feet sticking out of the back end.

With toes pointed up!!!!!!!!!!!!
Valerie

vclavin":2q6kui8v said:
Valerie

Heaven forbid!

I had one of those three weeks ago. Every time she pushed the calf out he'd crawl back forward. Had to walk her a half mile but I was the cutting horse all the way there so I probably walked 3, in the dark. Finally got him pulled out about midnight that night. It was extremely cold but she took right to the calf once I got her out of the chute.

Hooves down makes for a good life!

backhoeboogie":229chkdp said:
vclavin":229chkdp said:
Valerie

Heaven forbid!

I had one of those three weeks ago. Every time she pushed the calf out he'd crawl back forward. Had to walk her a half mile but I was the cutting horse all the way there so I probably walked 3, in the dark. Finally got him pulled out about midnight that night. It was extremely cold but she took right to the calf once I got her out of the chute.

I guess it depends on the meaning.lol. Should have said "positioned correctly".

I assume your calf was "upside down"?

Valerie

vclavin":2fh9opkz said:
backhoeboogie":2fh9opkz said:
vclavin":2fh9opkz said:
Valerie

Heaven forbid!

I guess it depends on the meaning.lol. Should have said "positioned correctly".

I assume your calf was "upside down"?

Valerie

Bottom of the hoof down or top of the hoof up is more precise

Highly recomend checking out the calving for beginners post. Will help you out and give you some visuals as well. Its always being updated.
The rest I would say has already been said. Best of luck.
Double R

i got excited over the "plug" on my first cow birth but had to wait about 3 to 4 months before i came up one day to check on her and a a dead bull calf in the pond....things happen but hope yours is doing good

Latest posts