Heifers bagging up

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiosteve

Reaction score
A friend of mine bought 50 weaned feeders last summer, mostly steers and probably 10 heifers. Angus based calves. He called me today because 2 of the heifers were bagging up so I went over and we ran the 2 heifers into a stall and they are definitely bagging up in my opinion, udders swollen and teats are getting longer, also showing some gut which looked like a pregnant heifer to me. I told him I would almost bet one of the steers wasn't properly castrated and they are bred. Is there any other possible explanation for a heifer to start bagging up other than being bred?? The heifers are approximately 14 months old. They are on a hay and grain ration with access to pasture and are certainly not underfed.

Probably bred, I've had em stand as early as 5-6 months. If they are it's too late to do anything but get the chains ready.

Thats what I was thinking. Looks like they are on the edge of being big enough to calve but I told him to keep them well bedded and keep a close eye on them. Not the best looking heifers but I have seen worse. I forgot to mention he has a few beefalo steers in with them so could be some very interesting calves!

Isomade":1tjjcrwp said:
Probably bred, I've had em stand as early as 5-6 months. If they are it's too late to do anything but get the chains ready.
you dont always need the chains when a heifer gets bred early.i had a heifer to calve 2 days ago at a whisker over 19 months old.an she calved on her own without a hitch.

I had a 12 mo old heifer bagging . I aborted her she did just fine . Heres a pic of the aborted calf.

0227121420b.jpg

No she was to far along for just lut, I also gave a shot of dex.

Latest posts