heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Opinions please.

cee1.jpg

dun she looks good to me looks like a streight topline.I domt know a hole lot but i like her look.she look,s long too.

rattler

Looks good, good brisket and topline. Nice hip structure. Look's a little freaky with those hollow white eyes though. Take that after momma or daddy :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't see anything about her udder. Like her topline. Like previously mentioned. Kind of hard to judge her hip length. How old is she?

She's 18 months. We sold her as a yearling because she didn;t have the capacity that we look for as heifers. She still doesn;t as far as I'm concerned.

dun

Dun, she may not be the deepest, but she's far from shallow gutted. She's long and that tends to make them look hound-gutted.
When you look at her from behind/front does she have good spring of rib in the upper 1/3 - if so - she'll work.
The way she's posing, I question her leg structure - is she a little post legged??

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2vmempsh said:
Dun, she may not be the deepest, but she's far from shallow gutted. She's long and that tends to make them look hound-gutted.
When you look at her from behind/front does she have good spring of rib in the upper 1/3 - if so - she'll work.
The way she's posing, I question her leg structure - is she a little post legged??

I don;t recall all the particulars about her anymore. She's nothing like her mother, but her mother was 10 years old when she had her. She's no pencil gut, but she sure doesn;t have the depth that we like. Obviously someone liked her, she sold well as a yearling and sold well again as bred heifer. She's just not our cup of tea.
She was also one of those that needed grain to really start looking good, that dog won;t hunt at this place.

dun

Dun, I think you made the right choice. Sometimes an animal that won't work on your place may work well in someone elses system. When culling, I think a person needs some hard fast rules and should only budge in an exceptional case. Boone

Beefy":3rcpwz2f said:
i think you should doctor that case of pinkeye.

I think she was using that hypnotic "you will do what I say" look.

dun

Slightly fine-boned. Says loads about the quality of your herd, because I would have kept her! :D
B

brianna":3hxcicef said:
Slightly fine-boned.

I thought the same when I saw her back leg, but it could be the camera angle. I would like to see more gut, but wife says I go overboard on that. My favorite cows look like pot-bellied pigs.

That's being picky, heifer is nothing to be ashamed of in my book, I own much worse.

cfpinz

Does have that feminine look to her. Hate to say so but I thought she has a good capacity but then we only see one pic.
I'd keep her if she was mine. DMc

I looked at the pic and said dun didn't keep this animal.

She doesn't have the frame that you raise...I'd say she is gonna be a big girl and just hasn't grown into it yet (which explains to me the need for grain). She is femine, but would want a little more thickness and hip length.

I wouldn't be ashamed of her and would have kept her too...sometimes those "hard keepers make a dandy calf".
Does she have good feet?

Pretty nice cull. Nice and long, just needs that deeper side to her. I remember some of your other heifers and cows they have some good volume to them, so see how this one does not fit your herd direction.

I imagine someone was happy you decided to cull her though. Unless it turns out she is not an easy keeper as you mentioned.