Heifer with big bag.

Help Support CattleToday:

farmguy199

Reaction score
I've got a heifer that's anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks away from calving, but when I was checking them out there this morning, I noticed that her bag is getting to be pretty big and full. Also, her teets are getting pretty good sized too. Is this anything to worry about?

Nope, be glad shes ready to go to work. When they get full like that though, she could be ready to calve at any time, I wouldn't bank on 3 days based on a calendar or anything.

Keep an eye on her vulva also. It should get loose and a bit floppy. Her muscles will also relax on either side of her tail head. She may also be having some mucous stringing down.
Good luck!

Fill and swelling are normal. When I first read posting, I thought he meant a big swing bagged dairy udder with huge teats that he was worried calf wouldn't be able to latch onto. Upon rereading it, just sounds like an over reaction to the normal progression to calving.

AllForage":24p03iup said:
Yes you need to immediately get under her and nurse them to release the pressure. Try not to get kicked though :)
That's the way to encourage new people to post questions. :roll:

farmguy199":2q1mewdu said:
I've got a heifer that's anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks away from calving, but when I was checking them out there this morning, I noticed that her bag is getting to be pretty big and full. Also, her teets are getting pretty good sized too. Is this anything to worry about?

Welcome to the forum. What you described sounds perfectly normal. And ignore AllForage.

If you can, and have facilities, I would put her in barn or pen where you can keep a very close eye on her...first calvers can be a pita sometimes. I always keep them close until they have proven themselves. BCG advice is on the money, when her tail head gets sunken in around it, your going to have a calf real soon. Welcome, and no such thing as a stupid question, no matter what anyone tells you.....except the one you never ask.

Get a sense of humor for crying out loud and give the poster some credit. Like he was going to nurse his heifer :). Yall take yourselves way too seriously. In all honesty, if most people read a little before buying cattle there would not be so much worrying. You might think it's corny, but storeys guide to raising beef cattle can answer most questions and concerns.

I'm lambing now so I might a little off :)

Allforage I think most of us have a pretty good "sense of humor." But sometimes your sarcasm is just not funny. Sorry.

branguscowgirl":2zx2k7ml said:
Allforage I think most of us have a pretty good "sense of humor." But sometimes your sarcasm is just not funny. Sorry.

That makes sense, my grandma would not see the humor in it either :)

AllForage":147xggcz said:
branguscowgirl":147xggcz said:

That makes sense, my grandma would not see the humor in it either :)
Perhaps you should follow your grandmas lead, and learn something from her. :D

The world would be a better place, if we all acted like our grandmothers and mothers tried to teach us to act.

AllForage":3lmf5enk said:
Get a sense of humor for crying out loud and give the poster some credit. Like he was going to nurse his heifer :). Yall take yourselves way too seriously. In all honesty, if most people read a little before buying cattle there would not be so much worrying. You might think it's corny, but storeys guide to raising beef cattle can answer most questions and concerns.

I don't take myself seriously at all to be truthful. I just look at it like the OP had a genuine concern, and since we are mostly all strangers, I error on the side of caution since some folks may not appreciate my sarcasm/wit/ or lack thereof until they are more familiar with me. I wasnt sure if you were joking with OP or being salty...but im new here too sooo.... :tiphat:

bball":2hs89prn said:
AllForage":2hs89prn said:

I don't take myself seriously at all to be truthful. I just look at it like the OP had a genuine concern, and since we are mostly all strangers, I error on the side of caution since some folks may not appreciate my sarcasm/wit/ or lack thereof until they are more familiar with me. I wasnt sure if you were joking with OP or being salty...but im new here too sooo.... :tiphat:

And I completely agree with you about Storeys.....

Latest posts