Heifer Slipped Again!!

Help Support CattleToday:

jgibson

Reaction score
We have a heifer that tested pregnant to her AI date (April). We did not notice that she started cycling a few months later. I guess she was standing at night. Anyway in October a neighbors bull jumped the fence to get to her. We took to the vet and the veridict was open. We gave her a shot of Lut due to not wanting the other bulls calf. We put her in with our bull. We retested the end of December and she tested positive. We think she has slipped again. If she has we plan to ship her, but we are wondering why. Does anyone have any experience with this?

During the period of her last breeding fescue/bermuda mix pasture and hay, supplemented with range cubes. In the spring, fescue/bermuda pasture with occasional beef pellet to get them up. I should also add we breed 7 heifers and 7 cows. She was the only one with a problem.

jgibson":tftelz1d said:
I should also add we breed 7 heifers and 7 cows. She was the only one with a problem.

I would say that is your answer. Some forages accumulate nitrates, but not what you have been feeding. There is a reason she keeps aborting, but your best bet is to ship her. She might have an std, trich, tough to say.

Just one of those things, like any species some are just not able to reproduce, cull the problems and you will have fewer problems.

Why even mess with her? Some are just not meant to be producers! There is always a heifer looking for a home that will be able to carry a calf full term. Never keep one you have to make an excuse for.

Latest posts