Heifer Question

Help Support CattleToday:

SPJ

Reaction score
I have a first time heifer that was AI'd and she is due on the 8th. I spent about 3 hours tonight cleaning out the the barn and just watching her. She is not leaking anything, but she spent about an hour rubbing her behind on anything that didn't move.

So my question is: Does this mean that she is really close? Should I check on her through out the night or just leave her alone? Thanks in advance, Phil

This time of year with the shedding and lice they rub alot. My guess is thats all it was. But,she could calve at anytime! Good luck. B&G

Due the 8th and they can go at least a week early or late. I'd check her every night from now until she calves!

Well she finally calved today about 1 pm. She had a little heifer. I got there right after the big event. I did not see any after birth, but there is a cord hanging out of her about 2' long.

Question: Should I leave it alone or is there something I should do about the cord? If left alone, could this cause an infection? It has been hanging out for about 8 hours now. Thanks in advance, Phil