• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Heifer problem

Help Support CattleToday:

Waterboy

Reaction score
I have a heifer with a 10 day old calf. She doesn’t have hardly any milk. Calf constantly changes teats.
She will only let him nurse if I’m standing fairly close. Otherwise she moves/raises her leg. Not kicking him but more Like a cow trying to wean her calf.
Here is the strange part. She loves him. Licks him. Bawls at him. Lays with him and stays with him. This is a new one for me.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Putangitangi

Reaction score
Sometimes they miss out on the milk genes and will never do the job. Sometimes it's just a heifer thing but when they really can't feed their first calf, their next isn't likely to get much either.

gcreekrch

Reaction score
Hobbles and lots of good feed or graft the calf to another and ship her.

elkwc

Reaction score
We've had a few instances like that this year. One was where two heifers claimed the same calf and the other calf was maybe stealing a little. This year we are mainly calving in a small pasture and I wasn't down there when they calved. Got a call and said one calf was puny looking and gant. I had them feed it some in a bottle. Then when I got there I tried to determine the real mother and took the other heifer and the calf to the house. After a few days she took the calve and acted like it was hers but at times would kick like you said especially if it hunched. I felt her bag was sore. Not sure But after about a week so quit and is milking a little better and the calf is doing fine. Have turned them out on Triticale. Had a similar instance back in the fall. Again when the calf would hunch she would kick. But after a week she was fine. She came to her milk and he is doing fine.
I like to see my heifers milk good. I have one now ready to have her 3rd calf and she stunted her first calf and I almost sold her. But she is registered and I paid more for her. Her milk EPD was 19 so I know that isn't enough. She milked a lot better last year. Will see about this year. Her first heifer that got stunted calved last week and she has a perfect udder and really milking. Hope milk production picks up on your heifer.

Latest posts