heifer not accepting a calf.

Help Support CattleToday:

trukn

Reaction score
I have a first calf heifer who does not want to accept her calf. I have to tie her up to let the calf nurse. She does not lick it or clean it either, although she knows it's hers and comes over by it to check on it.

trukn":3mix9j43 said:
dun":3mix9j43 said:
How long has it been?

dun

4 days. Her grandma used to to do the same thing thing for about 3 or 4 days. after that she was great.

Just an opinion, but she sounds like a good candidate for the freezer and all of her relatives.
I'll tolerate a heifer being a little fidgitty the first time a calf nurses, but if they do it more then that or do it as second calvers they find new homes.

dun

dun":36m4u0c4 said:
trukn":36m4u0c4 said:
dun":36m4u0c4 said:
How long has it been?

dun

Just an opinion, but she sounds like a good candidate for the freezer and all of her relatives.
I'll tolerate a heifer being a little fidgitty the first time a calf nurses, but if they do it more then that or do it as second calvers they find new homes.

dun

i agree.....................

TNfamilyfarm":3q5viih9 said:
dun":3q5viih9 said:
trukn":3q5viih9 said:
dun":3q5viih9 said:
How long has it been?

dun

dun

i agree.....................

that's what happened to her grandma. this one is a twin and her mom is great. she nursed them both no problem. I kept her. the other twin is due soon. I'll watch her.

Get some O-No-Mo. Valley vet sells it. You wet the calf's back and neck down and sprinkle it on, Work it into the hair. I don't know what is in it but the cow will lick the calf to get it. You will still have to tie the cow up and feed the calf but she will take the calf alot quicker.

I've talked to a lot of old ranchers and they say they used to bring a dog into the pen with the pair and that cured the problem some of the time.

Rangenerd":2sy1wm9w said:
Get some O-No-Mo. Valley vet sells it. You wet the calf's back and neck down and sprinkle it on, Work it into the hair. I don't know what is in it but the cow will lick the calf to get it. You will still have to tie the cow up and feed the calf but she will take the calf alot quicker.

thanks. I ordered something called Mother up. It sounds like the same thing. I didn't receive it yet.

I don't have to tie her up any more, but I have to stand there.

rmuse206":wx5nvicv said:
I've talked to a lot of old ranchers and they say they used to bring a dog into the pen with the pair and that cured the problem some of the time.

If another cow comes by the calf she comes to take it away, she protects it but it seems to hurt her to nurse it.

thanks

trukn":27ya8kuv said:
rmuse206":27ya8kuv said:

If another cow comes by the calf she comes to take it away, she protects it but it seems to hurt her to nurse it.

thanks

Have you checked the udder for sore teats, edema, lack of milk, etc.

dun

I wouldnt put an O-No-Mo on it. The cow has her scent on the calf, why would you cover it up? Put hobbles on her back legs so she can't get away from the calf and the calf can't get kicked. This has worked for me in the past.

The dog thing doesn't work very well. We use our dogs on cattle all the time and all the cow does is defend herself. Id hobble her up and make her learn to raise a calf and then sell her as a weigh up slaughter cow.

we had a cow drop her calf in the mud and we took the claf to warm it up the cow would no ttake the calf back so we put hairspray in her nose and on her face and then we sprayed the calf all over we let the calf suck and the cow took the calf back but now then cow is not very nice

thanks for all the tips.

It's been 17 days and she still doesn't really take it. I've never had one that wouldn't eventually take it before.

It's 15 below today and it's too cold to fool around. I just keep standing there to let her nurse, telling myself, farming is fun, farming is fun,

trukn":14nd6wgd said:
thanks for all the tips.

It's been 17 days and she still doesn't really take it. I've never had one that wouldn't eventually take it before.

It's 15 below today and it's too cold to fool around. I just keep standing there to let her nurse, telling myself, farming is fun, farming is fun,

Ship her. That's way more then enough time.

dun

I kept her on her and everything is working just fine now.

it took a few weeks. she is a twin and didn't want to break them up.

Latest posts