Heifer maternal instincts

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
So I was talking with a rancher recently about maternal instincts in heifers. How many of you have first-calf heifers that won't take their calf? they're intensely interested in the calf but they kick at him, roll him when he tries to stand, beller at him, etc, but if you tie the heifer up and let the calf suck, she's generally fine after that? maybe you'd consider it "too much" maternal instinct.

I'm looking for a bit of informal research information. Can I get some input from y'all? These require VERY short answers - don't worry about the list!

1) Do you have heifers that display those actions/attitude? (yes/no; if "no" please explain what abnormal actions you see instead)
2) How many heifers do you see like that per year? (percent or numerical value if less than 10 heifers/yr)
3) Calve on grass or barn setting?
4) Do you use calving ease sires on your heifers? (yes/no)
5) How closely do you check your heifers? (time frame each day)
6) Do you consider your herd in general (heifers and cows) to have strong maternal instincts (e.g. they might run a person or animal off if it came too close to their calf)? (yes/no)
7) Where would you place your herd on the "friendly/comfortable around people" to "wild range cow" scale? (1-10 where 1=friendly, 10=wild)
8.) What state are you in?

Thanks, appreciate the input! If I get enough responses I'll try to post the results in the next few weeks for anyone who is curious.

milkmaid":1ruweobd said:
So I was talking with a rancher recently about maternal instincts in heifers. How many of you have first-calf heifers that won't take their calf? they're intensely interested in the calf but they kick at him, roll him when he tries to stand, beller at him, etc, but if you tie the heifer up and let the calf suck, she's generally fine after that? maybe you'd consider it "too much" maternal instinct.

I'm looking for a bit of informal research information. Can I get some input from y'all? These require VERY short answers - don't worry about the list!

1) Do you have heifers that display those actions/attitude? (yes/no; if "no" please explain what abnormal actions you see instead)
A. Sometimes, no problems at all this year.
2) How many heifers do you see like that per year? (percent or numerical value if less than 10 heifers/yr)
A. 5%
A. Mostly grass
A. Not particularly
A. 2-3 times/day
6) Do you consider your herd in general (heifers and cows) to have strong maternal instincts (e.g. they might run a person or animal off if it came too close to their calf)? (yes/no)
A, Yes!
7) Where would you place your herd on the "friendly/comfortable around people" to "wild range cow" scale? (1-10 where 1=friendly, 10=wild)
A. Mostly 1, a few 3-4
A. OH
Thanks, appreciate the input! If I get enough responses I'll try to post the results in the next few weeks for anyone who is curious.

milkmaid":qd4ckt75 said:
Yes
2, but not any that won't take their calf
10% in the barn
not really
3-4
Yes
1, with about 8 of the 27 that would rate as a 4 or 5
IL

"Had" is applicable to me--if they won't take their calf, they don't stay--but I have had one like that.
(you might want to add "Herd size?" as a preface to the questions)
Herd size=18 including 1 active bull and 1 bull calf.

2) How many heifers do you see like that per year? (percent or numerical value if less than 10 heifers/yr) 1
5) How closely do you check your heifers? (time frame each day)1/day except during calving time-then X2/day.
6) Do you consider your herd in general (heifers and cows) to have strong maternal instincts (e.g. they might run a person or animal off if it came too close to their calf)? (yes/no) But just a couple of them would run at a person. They'd all run at dogs in a heartbeat tho.
7) Where would you place your herd on the "friendly/comfortable around people" to "wild range cow" scale? (1-10 where 1=friendly, 10=wild) 2 (Got one that don't even like herself--but she's going to make a trip soon)
8.) What state are you in? The Sovereign Republic of Texas.

milkmaid":2taeqsrc said:

1) Do you have heifers that display those actions/attitude? (yes/no; if "no" please explain what abnormal actions you see instead) Almost none. Only had one in 6 yrs. This was a 1st calf heifer that had a calf during a snow storm, calf had front leg bent back and couldn't stand up at first, walked on knees. Heifer didn't butt him but just wouldn't hold still for him to suck, he was unable to follow. Splinted the calf leg for 2 days, gave him bottle colostrum, put them both in the corral. Day 2 put heifer in chute, calf sucked with help. Day 3 removed splint, let them out of corral, all was well, she is now a good cow.
2) How many heifers do you see like that per year? (percent or numerical value if less than 10 heifers/yr) 0
3) Calve on grass or barn setting? On grass patches (hopefully) as snow is retreating in spring.
4) Do you use calving ease sires on your heifers? (yes/no) yes
5) How closely do you check your heifers? (time frame each day) maybe once each day if I'm around
6) Do you consider your herd in general (heifers and cows) to have strong maternal instincts (e.g. they might run a person or animal off if it came too close to their calf)? (yes/no) yes
7) Where would you place your herd on the "friendly/comfortable around people" to "wild range cow" scale? (1-10 where 1=friendly, 10=wild) 1, I get/got rid of anything wild but like protective cows. Have given up touching or tagging calves at birth, they get random tags at spring workup 6 weeks later
8.) What state are you in? Wisconsin

milkmaid":9w3num4u said:

I've had 1 and she never took the calf. Where I used to work, avge of 3 per season, 2 seasons per yr. Those heifers were sold.
See above answer.
Grass---both here and where I used to work.
2 to 3 times, early AM, afternoon and evening. Where I used to work 2 times, AM and PM
Depends....yes to animals, not always to me. Same with where I used to work.
Mine--2 and where I used to work---6
Virginia

I'll try to post the results in the next few weeks for anyone who is curious.

I'd be interested in what the results are.

Katherine

Intriguing- thanks for the responses! I'm friends with a place that has 30%+ heifers like this every year, and we were discussing possible variables that could account for that.

I'd like to add two more questions-

9) Do you or would you keep a heifer in the herd that displayed those behaviors?
10) Do you or would you retain (deliberately or accidently) a heifer calf out of a heifer that had displayed those types of behaviors?

Thanks again, please keep the responses coming.

1. yes... mostly I see really interested heifers that just walk away
2. I'd guess five percent
3.range
4.mostly
5. every few days
6.YES!
7.I'd say they range from 5-10 with two or three cows in the 1 and 2 range.
8.California
9. Right now, yes... When I'm full to capacity, HE!! NO.
10. yes... I'm picky about my bulls so I trust my genetic improvement.

I also think there is a strong correlation to between the breed and the genetics within the breed to this behavior. I've never seen it with anything with brangus influence or just plain mutts that are out of commercial cattle that have to work for a living.

sim.-ang.king":2ky8czhu said:
milkmaid":2ky8czhu said:
Yes
2, but not any that won't take their calf
10% in the barn
not really
3-4
Yes
3, with about 8 of the 27 that would rate as a 5 or 6
IL
9. Yes...it's a trait in a lot of simmental to be worrisome mothers the first time around which can be good or bad like you said, but as long as they end up raising the calf.
10. Maybe, as long as they aren't wild when handling them

Added in 9 & 10
and I hope you don't mind that I changed my answer for #7 a little because I didn't really think about when we try to load those bossy old things. :bang: :lol2:

milkmaid":25sop5i5 said:
I'd like to add two more questions-

9) Do you or would you keep a heifer in the herd that displayed those behaviors?

No I won't. Where I used to work they didn't keep them either. Side-note...the one I had, a neighboring cattleman bought from me, knwoing full well why I was selling her, she has since calved 2 more times and raised both calves without incident.

10) Do you or would you retain (deliberately or accidently) a heifer calf out of a heifer that had displayed those types of behaviors?

No I didn't. The one I had had a heifer calf which I sold to another neighbor to feed-out. Where I used to work, they wouldn't keep them either. A side note...a few of the rejected calves that were heifer calves were bought by other farm employees...2 raised 2 each for replacements and have never had an issue with them rejecting their calves. (no, I was not one of those people).

Thanks again, please keep the responses coming.

Katherine

1) Do you have heifers that display those actions/attitude? (yes/no; if "no" please explain what abnormal actions you see instead) NO - occasionally a heifer will keep the calf at her head, licking it & not want it to move to her udder, but "gives in" after maybe 5 minutes.
2) How many heifers do you see like that per year? (percent or numerical value if less than 10 heifers/yr) maybe 10%
4) Do you use calving ease sires on your heifers? (yes/no) somewhat - but not extreme
5) How closely do you check your heifers? (time frame each day) all day & all night - right outside my window & have cameras at night
6) Do you consider your herd in general (heifers and cows) to have strong maternal instincts (e.g. they might run a person or animal off if it came too close to their calf)? (yes/no) Strong maternal instincts YES - but that doesn't mean they will run someone off - won't let you TOUCH them.
7) Where would you place your herd on the "friendly/comfortable around people" to "wild range cow" scale? (1-10 where 1=friendly, 10=wild) 2
8.) What state are you in? NY
9) Do you or would you keep a heifer in the herd that displayed those behaviors? If she wouldn't take her calf - NO
probably not

greybeard":3gt6ev9j said:
(you might want to add "Herd size?" as a preface to the questions)

I'd sure like to greybeard, I'm just concerned I wouldn't get any responses as asking herd size can be a little impolite! :lol:

I realized it'll be easier to analyze the results with a survey program; the questions are now available here: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DWMP5MH

I added a question about how many heifers you calve each year; the survey is completely anonymous. If you take the survey at the link and you've already posted below, please let me know, otherwise I'll just input the data from your post myself. Thanks again!

milkmaid":1mku08p4 said:

1) Do you have heifers that display those actions/attitude? (yes/no; if "no" please explain what abnormal actions you see instead) NO EXTREMELY RARE
2) How many heifers do you see like that per year? (percent or numerical value if less than 10 heifers/yr) LESS THAT 1%
3) Calve on grass or barn setting? GRASS
4) Do you use calving ease sires on your heifers? (yes/no) YES. USUALLY A.I.
5) How closely do you check your heifers? (time frame each day) TWICE DAILY
6) Do you consider your herd in general (heifers and cows) to have strong maternal instincts (e.g. they might run a person or animal off if it came too close to their calf)? (yes/no) YES. ESPECIALLY FIRST 3 DAYS.
7) Where would you place your herd on the "friendly/comfortable around people" to "wild range cow" scale? (1-10 where 1=friendly, 10=wild) 1 TO 3
8.) What state are you in? TN

milkmaid":16n3dbqk said:
1) Do you have heifers that display those actions/attitude? purchased cows or heifers ONLY
2) How many heifers do you see like that per year? Zero most years, had one 3 years ago that refused the calf after we pulled it, so we sold the calf and eat the heifer. :cowboy:
3) Calve on grass or barn setting? grass
4) Do you use calving ease sires on your heifers? yes
5) How closely do you check your heifers? once
6) Do you consider your herd in general (heifers and cows) to have strong maternal instincts (e.g. they might run a person or animal off if it came too close to their calf)? Yes - because I sold the poor mothers :banana:
7) Where would you place your herd on the "friendly/comfortable around people" to "wild range cow" scale? (1-10 where 1=friendly, 10=wild) 2
8.) What state are you in? MN

Latest posts