Heifer International

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
Are you guys familiar with this organization? I guess I first heard of it on an Animal Rights board. They hate it, so, of course, I had to check it out. :D W've been supporting it off and on ever since. Their stories about the way an animal (cow, goat, sheep, pigs, etc.) can change the life of a family or even an entire village are heartwarming.

http://www.heifer.org/

Back in thr 80s we donated dairy doe kids to them a couple of years. Haven;t thought of them in years

They've changed a lot since then, I guess. They get the animals as near to their destination as possible now. Less shipping is cheaper and better for the animal. Also, even if you donate for a pig, they may combine your money with other donations to buy a heifer or chickens, etc. It's a widely respected organization and I like it, too, because it's a good example to hold up to the animal rights folks who say we can do quite well without animal agriculture.

Take time to go look at the catalog. It might inspire you to send money. :)

I made a contribution to them sometime back in honor of my High School Agrculture teacher and FFA advisor. I had not seen him in years, but wanted to do something in appreciation for how much he had done to help me along.

Not very long after that he died. His son called me and told me how much that act of appreciation had meant to his father. I'm sure glad I did it before he died.

Hopefully my contribution along with others will help others along. So his good works continue on after he is gone.

World Vision also does this, and we have purchased animals through them. We also sponsor a kid in Africa and get the news on how he is doing periodically.

I guess I first heard of it on an Animal Rights board. They hate it, so, of course

What reasons do they give for being against this Frankie, I can't fathom how even those morons could be against this ie. feeding the starving world by "teaching them how to fish" so to speak. This sounds like a really great organization, if in fact they are on the up and up and most, if not all moneys raised go to feeding the people that need it..

hillsdown":3ittp8vm said:
I guess I first heard of it on an Animal Rights board. They hate it, so, of course

What reasons do they give for being against this Frankie, I can't fathom how even those morons could be against this ie. feeding the starving world by "teaching them how to fish" so to speak. This sounds like a really great organization, if in fact they are on the up and up and most, if not all moneys raised go to feeding the people that need it..

"Reason" doesn't fit into the animal rights people's agenda. :roll: Some of them think animals should have the same rights as human. Humans have no right to breed them (according to them, AI is rape), raise them, feed them and eat them. They should just be allowed to live out their lives naturally. The fact that animals eat other animals doesn't count. Where and at who's expense, exactly, they're going to live out this life isn't a popular topic of discussion for them. :) The same ones spouting that line usually have a dog, cat, rabbit, or horse., that they're keeping shut up in a house or stable.....but that's different. I do have to admit, though, that it seems like there aren't as many of them around as there were a few years ago.

We furnish the "Officiating Cow" every year at Gongaza university for cow plop bingo to support Heifer International. Surprized at how many kids have never touched a cow before. We have some sweet feed to feed handfulls to the animal...keep a roll of paper towels handy along with the camera.
We look really forward to the event.
I proudly wear my "Heifer Helper" button on my cap.
Dave Mc

Latest posts