Heifer hiding out w/ calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Arkieman

Reaction score
Last Tuesday I had a hiefer calve with a little bull calf. I didnt find her until Wed around noon. She was hid in the woods. I ran her calf down to tag/band and she nearly stomped a mud hole in me - quickly decided I would tag/band later :D Well, in the mele I lost my tagger. Took me about 15 min to find. Driving out I noticed she had retreated to the corral.. Caught her in the head gate and tag/banded the calf. She was pizzed but hooked up w/ him and took off. I haven't seen them since. I figured she would stay holed up w/ him for a day or two so I wasn't really worried too much. Looked yesterday, but still couldn't find them. There's not much cattle around close by, I wouldn't think she would leave her herd would ya'll? Ever had one lay low for this long??

Had one that hid our with her calf for 2 weeks. Then she magicaly showed up like she had been there all along.

Arkieman":1ts4if2y said:
Last Tuesday I had a hiefer calve with a little bull calf. I didnt find her until Wed around noon. She was hid in the woods. I ran her calf down to tag/band and she nearly stomped a mud hole in me - quickly decided I would tag/band later :D Well, in the mele I lost my tagger. Took me about 15 min to find. Driving out I noticed she had retreated to the corral.. Caught her in the head gate and tag/banded the calf. She was pizzed but hooked up w/ him and took off. I haven't seen them since. I figured she would stay holed up w/ him for a day or two so I wasn't really worried too much. Looked yesterday, but still couldn't find them. There's not much cattle around close by, I wouldn't think she would leave her herd would ya'll? Ever had one lay low for this long??
I think I highlighted the problem...you ran her down...she was pizzed.....she'll come out when she's ready....IF she's sstill in the pasture. Unless you have a lot of calves at one time it's not necessary to be in such a hurry...next time let her bring the calf out on her own....settle back into the herd...then pen them all and work your way to her and the calf. Not that much work unless you have a huge number in the field.

Tex - you may be right. However, I've tried rounding them all up w/ calves running everywhere getting stomped. It's easier for me this way. IF she emerges, then I'll handle her differently if she raises a decent enough calf to be worthy of keeping - If not, then she'll be someone elses problem...

She was one of 10 heifers I bought this spring. She's been w/ them all her life, I just wouldn't think she would leave them (and maybe she hasnt - I just can't find her!)

dun":37hg2vn5 said:
Had one that hid our with her calf for 2 weeks. Then she magicaly showed up like she had been there all along.

Did the cow stay hidden also or just the calf? Cause I can't find either one!

Arkieman":30hxfjv9 said:
dun":30hxfjv9 said:

Did the cow stay hidden also or just the calf? Cause I can't find either one!
Both. The next year she calved laying next to the water point with all the others gathered around.

Well that makes me feel a little better. I'm taking reinforcements this afternoon. I'm gonna start on one end and my son on the other and hopefully flush her out! Called the Sherriff Dept and nobody has reported anything wandering around...

Arkieman":12k4hfx7 said:
Well that makes me feel a little better. I'm taking reinforcements this afternoon. I'm gonna start on one end and my son on the other and hopefully flush her out! Called the Sherriff Dept and nobody has reported anything wandering around...
You don;t want to "flush her out". Just spot where she is and leave her alone.

Well that's what I've been trying to do, slip around and spot her. I can only believe she hears me coming and moves off before I can see or hear her. I'm on foot crawling through this mess of downed trees and vines so its hard to move around quietly... Hoping with 2 of us, she will move into one of us or out in the open.

Arkieman":3dz6wkxe said:
Well that's what I've been trying to do, slip around and spot her. I can only believe she hears me coming and moves off before I can see or hear her. I'm on foot crawling through this mess of downed trees and vines so its hard to move around quietly... Hoping with 2 of us, she will move into one of us or out in the open.

May need to use a spotting scope...

TexasBred":31ym0jg7 said:
next time let her bring the calf out on her own....settle back into the herd...then pen them all and work your way to her and the calf. Not that much work unless you have a huge number in the field.

We are not a rope and drag outfit, and obviously these calves too small for a standard head gate. Any tips on handling them at 4 to 8 weeks old?

Stocker Steve":ir3phyeu said:
TexasBred":ir3phyeu said:
next time let her bring the calf out on her own....settle back into the herd...then pen them all and work your way to her and the calf. Not that much work unless you have a huge number in the field.

We are not a rope and drag outfit, and obviously these calves too small for a standard head gate. Any tips on handling them at 4 to 8 weeks old?
Just don;t head catch them. Run them in the chute with the headgate closed and close the tail gate then tail the calf.

Stocker Steve":1575417s said:
TexasBred":1575417s said:

Someone posted a pic a few months ago of a calf chute....was really neat but a little pricey... Here's a site I found one on.
http://www.two-w.com/rambull_calf_table.htm

Hey fellas, thanks for the input. Found the cow/calf last night. She was in a neighbor's pasture behind us. Since I'm still in the process of digging out of this tornado, I haven't found out how she got there though and why she didn't take the rest of the herd w/ her.. Anyway, the lesson I learned was listen to your gut - I just didn't think she could be holed up that long w/o grazing. The fella behind me doesn't keep a very close eye on his stuff (especially when there's grass). I had called him a few days ago and he said he would check, but I still haven't heard from him. Last night I just took off walking through his pasture and found her with the rest of his stuff.

Thanks Again

dun":1o8hxj4o said:
Stocker Steve":1o8hxj4o said:
Any tips on handling them at 4 to 8 weeks old?
Just don;t head catch them. Run them in the chute with the headgate closed and close the tail gate then tail the calf.

This is what I do when in that situation. Except I haven't got a tail gate, instead I have 2 pipes with handles/shields welded on and run the pipes through the slats acting as a tail gate. Works out very well.

Arkieman, glad you found her and the calf.

Katherine

Well #10 and calf are back safely in the CORRECT pasture (at least for now!). Turns out she herds very well in front of a 4 wheeler. She seemed like she settled in very well with her old girlfriends. Her calf looked good also. Thanks for all the input.