Heifer Finishing

Help Support CattleToday:

MadRanchTX

Reaction score
Hello All, 1st post.
I'm new to this but am having fun learning. Got tired of living in the suburbs so 1 1/2 years ago I bought a small farm just west of Ft. Worth,TX and purchased 8 just weaned black angus heifers. I am planning on finishing 1 of the them for slaughter and breeding the rest. I am looking for suggestions on a finishing program. The girls have been on grass, hay, minerals, and the occasional bag of cubes to keep them friendly. Economical would be best but in the end I'm looking for a tasty steak!

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hey MadRanch,

I am new also. how much does the heifer weigh? will you have to grow out first or are you ready to finish now?

MadRanchTX":3lig6hcc said:
I bought a small farm just west of Ft. Worth,TX and purchased 8 just weaned black angus heifers.

We must be neighbors. I'm in Hood County.

For freezer beer, I like a feed called baby beef for the final finish. Can't find it any more around here

As Jerry said, feed about 2.5% of her body weight in grain (make the mixture about 65 to 70% corn) for 65 to 75 days.

BC":1ps1ip9w said:
As Jerry said, feed about 2.5% of her body weight in grain (make the mixture about 65 to 70% corn) for 65 to 75 days.

Assuming this heifer weighs 1300 lbs, 2.5% of her body weight is 32.5 lbs of grain a day. If she is not used to grain, that amount could very well cause a good case of acidosis. I believe I would start out at 1% of her body weight, and increase it by a couple of pounds every week. That way her rumen has a chance to build up the flora needed to digest the grain. Better safe than sorry. Acidosis can be a bit difficult to pull them out of, can set them back quite a bit, and it can also kill them.

msscamp":3rjnn7yr said:
BC":3rjnn7yr said:

Assuming this heifer weighs 1300 lbs, 2.5% of her body weight is 32.5 lbs of grain a day. If she is not used to grain, that amount could very well cause a good case of acidosis. I believe I would start out at 1% of her body weight, and increase it by a couple of pounds every week. That way her rumen has a chance to build up the flora needed to digest the grain. Better safe than sorry. Acidosis can be a bit difficult to pull them out of, can set them back quite a bit, and it can also kill them.
You are right. I assumed that there would be a 10 day to two week warm up period.

first off welcome to the boards, good info so far. One thing I'll add is I always do a final worming before slaughter, meaning if I use Merial Ivomec injectable plus (not a plug it's just what I use) the animal can't be slaughtered for at least 49 days, good time to continue graining. You can use the Merial pour on wormer (epernix (sp)) with no slaughter restrictions, but I would give it a couple of weeks to work. When you worm the cattle get more efficient use of the feed...your not feeding more to support parisites. Also the Ivomec plus gets liver flukes..... assuming everone likes liver :D . Nothing like eating a great steak from a parisite free carcuss. Also, after slaughter I like to hang the beef for at least 14 days before they cut and wrap it. BTW I just had one slaughtered 16 days ago, hung for 15 days, going to pick it up today, Rib Eye steak and baked potato off the grill tomorrow ;-) . Good luck and enjoy!

Alan

Backhoe wrote;
For freezer beer, I like a feed called baby beef

Where was your mind? :D that's just the kind of typo I would have made or may make with the Rib Eye tomorrow.

Alan

Thanks for the advice. I would guess she weighs around 900 lbs. I had planned on waiting for green up and use that to help ease her onto feed. I'll do a final deworm at the same time she goes onto feed. So if we go 60-70% corn what would make up the balance of the mix?

MadRanchTX":3vbfxelc said:
So if we go 60-70% corn what would make up the balance of the mix?

You might consider a touch of beet pulp in the mix if you are going that strong on the corn. It'll help her belly some.