Heifer bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Lon

Reaction score
Hey eerybody i hope all is well with you folks. Quick question i come across 22 head of hiefers that i picked up and now i need to get a bull for them quick. There are 18 pure angus hiefers i bought out of my grandfathers cattle that come from registered stock out of montana and than a half saler angus cross that i raised and two red ones and a white one that i bought from my mother. I guess i have been looking for a bull and so far i have only found 1 yearling saler bull i could put on them. He was a low 60 lb birth wieght bull waiting for rest of info to be email to me. He is out of kansas from GG&T Cattle. They said would take just over 2000 for him. Otherwise i havent really found anything else. Mostly just looking for calving ease right now nothing else much to important other than that. If you guys have any ideas where i could look or know some for sale if you could pm me that would be greatly appreciated.

By the way starting my own herd is a work in progress but i am getting somewhere i feel. By this next spring i should have 50 cattle calving with some luck and all paid off. Wich i think is pretty good for just starting to buy them early this year. Thanks for all the info and help along the way.

Lon

I start all hiefers the same way------- solid black coriente. Wean and sell at six months old. Any off color calves sell them the next weak. Don't haul them to the sale barn with the solids. They want weigh a lot, but you will have a bunch of live calves on the ground.

Lon":2pted6w2 said:
Hey eerybody i hope all is well with you folks. Quick question i come across 22 head of hiefers that i picked up and now i need to get a bull for them quick. There are 18 pure angus hiefers i bought out of my grandfathers cattle that come from registered stock out of montana and than a half saler angus cross that i raised and two red ones and a white one that i bought from my mother. I guess i have been looking for a bull and so far i have only found 1 yearling saler bull i could put on them. He was a low 60 lb birth wieght bull waiting for rest of info to be email to me. He is out of kansas from GG&T Cattle. They said would take just over 2000 for him. Otherwise i havent really found anything else. Mostly just looking for calving ease right now nothing else much to important other than that. If you guys have any ideas where i could look or know some for sale if you could pm me that would be greatly appreciated.

By the way starting my own herd is a work in progress but i am getting somewhere i feel. By this next spring i should have 50 cattle calving with some luck and all paid off. Wich i think is pretty good for just starting to buy them early this year. Thanks for all the info and help along the way.

Lon

Did you check with Flying H out of McCook Neb. They should have something.

Bigfoot":2bokl234 said:
I start all hiefers the same way------- solid black coriente. Wean and sell at six months old. Any off color calves sell them the next weak. Don't haul them to the sale barn with the solids. They want weigh a lot, but you will have a bunch of live calves on the ground.
r

On another one of your post you say that weaning on the trailer hurts the beef industry and in this one you try fool people with junk coriente cross calves what a load of bull.
If you have to use a coriente bull to get live calves out of heifers your heifers arnt worth breeding.

salebarn junkie":3g1x55f3 said:
Bigfoot":3g1x55f3 said:
r

On another one of your post you say that weaning on the trailer hurts the beef industry and in this one you try fool people with junk coriente cross calves what a load of bull.
If you have to use a coriente bull to get live calves out of heifers your heifers arnt worth breeding.
Well said!

salebarn junkie":30fi4njl said:
Bigfoot":30fi4njl said:
r

That crap goes on here all the time. It did kinda lsow down the year a fella calved out about 150 corriente crosses in Jan and 2/3's of them froze to death about 2 weeks later in a blizzard..
I have to laugh at these guys who think they can fool the order buyers with that Corriente garbage!

As 3waycross said, I would contact Dick Helms in Nebraska and see what he has for bulls. Dick has really put a focus on calving ease over the years and I would check and see if FHG 168Y is still available. The sire, Vernon, is a tremendous calving ease bull and this son had solid stats and comes from a good cow family. Yes he is red, but he should be solid. Otherwise he may have other solid options.

http://www.flyinghgenetics.com/

Check out the private treaty listing for Nebraska.

salebarn junkie":vffoh48z said:
Bigfoot":vffoh48z said:
r

I plainly said wean and sell. Not wean them on the way to the yard. Here if you bring a trailer of 250-300 pound calves to the yard they are going to sell in a group. Why would you cut your on throat by selling the "offs" at the same time. The solids will be 20-30 cents over the offs separated. You were the only one to mention me trying to corn hole the buyer. What idiot cant spot a coriente cross when they see it. Personally I like to open with a coriente bull. Sometime half corriente bull. It doesn't mean my hiefers are junk. Keep it positive. I've met some really great people on this forum. You run people off mencing words, and running down people you've never met. I think it was Joe Dirt who said,"Is this what you want to be doing when Jesus comes back". By the way I background a few calves every year. It's a big pet peve of mine when you get calves in that aren't settled. Much like our behavior on this forum. You treat people like you want to be treated. For me it's a matter of common courtesy to get a calf weaned and eating before I sell it. If everyone did that you would see a marked increase in the price at the sale barn. As it is now we all pay the price for those who don't. Just my opinion. That's the great thing about a forum hearing opinions, and learning from others. I have actually learned from you. Can't tell you what, but none the less a lesson.

If your not in a position to be able to check on your heifers regularly, I would support going the corriente or even Jersey route. MARC states that on avg 30% of first calf heifers will require some form of assistance. I would assume this is when bred to a traditional beef breed bull. I breed all my purebred shorthorn heifers to purebred bulls but then again I sleep in the truck a lot.

I would especially recomend a corriente bull for a beginner, beginning with hiefers. I think its not only the size of the calf, but the shape of the calf. There will be a lot less calves pull either way. Also with start up cost as high as they are now, and inputs at record highs its the smart move yes you sacrifice pounds at weaning, but of the hiefers make it to production on the second calf. It really depends on what you put the most value on. The long run, or the short run.

The barns are buyer beware i dont have a problem selling calves anytime anyway you want but dont post not to wean calves on the trailer or you would never jockey cattle from one barn to the next (both old posts of yours) and thn tell everybody how you divide up your cattle. Yes you dont fool the order buyers but you might fool the newbe. Stop talking out of both sides of your mouth. If you werent trying to fool somebody you would bring them in at the same time and if your barn doesnt split solid calves from spoted calves get a new barn

Trolling for an an online argument I see. No thanks I'll pass. Enjoy Sunday with your family, not picking fights on the Internet. I will probably post on this thread again, just not in response to you. We are all adequately impressed with your vast knowledge, and ability to belittle perfect strangers. Thanks for sharing.

Not trying to get in the middle of a argument but Bigfoot said in his post wean and sell at 6 months, I sell mine to a broker because i dont like sale barns your at there mercy and they dock you for small things like a white spot in there eye WHY? Because they can.I usually get market price maybe a couple cents less but no commissions and if i dont like the price i dont sell. Now why i replied i dont know anything about the Saler cattle looked on there web site they look to be good cattle my question is what is there weigning weights and yrling weights on average?

Bigfoot":14nptnaj said:
Trolling for an an online argument I see. No thanks I'll pass. Enjoy Sunday with your family, not picking fights on the Internet. I will probably post on this thread again, just not in response to you. We are all adequately impressed with your vast knowledge, and ability to belittle perfect strangers. Thanks for sharing.

Good to see a post like this once in awhile. Good for you. Most of us would go back and forth for days. :lol2:

Well umm i will probably not go correinte on them. But i do thank you for your input anyways. If i was just first getting my feet wet in cattle then yes maybe a longhorn bull do wet my whsitle on calving heifers. Only thing is though starting my own herd and being new to cattle is completely different things. I did however find a red limi bull that the guy traced back on both sides of few generations and said he is positive that he would work. Said the bull himself was a 74lb bw and there hasnt been a 80lb bw either way for sometime. The guy is pretty confident that since most my cows will mature size is smaller than your average angus he would be suprised if i even see a bw that gets in the mid 70s. So i think this is the direction i will go. Only thing is he said would not sell the bull to me but would lease him because his weaning weight wasnt as good as he would like to see. So said he will rent him to me for 60 days for $500. This way he hopes that i will be very impressed with the calves i get out of him, should show limi can give light bw as well, and said that if i will be as happy with this bulls calves that he is confident it would bring me to his sale next year to buy a few good bulls. So i might just go this direction. And yes i know heterosis starts at conception not birth but the hiefers should be caving ease and the guy did alot of work to make sure that he was sending a bull he was confident in. said had another that would work to but this one he could say without a doubt on.

Who is the breeder of the limousin bull you are looking at Lon, if you don't mind me asking. Send me a pm if you don't want to go passing out names on the internet.

Red Bull Breeder":12nmjt4b said:
Who is the breeder of the limousin bull you are looking at Lon, if you don't mind me asking. Send me a pm if you don't want to go passing out names on the internet.

Pm sent

What is it with you guys on this calving ease deal??? :shock: I know i have only been raising cattle for 9 years but d#$, you have to breed a cor or jersey on heifers???? I breed my heifers @ around 18 months, they calve after permenant teeth come in, I do not pull or have a calving problem. Is this just a SHorthorn, ANgus, Char problem??? Seriously.

over 250 calves and pulled 1. Is it my Brahma influence??? What is it that you can't let momma's be momma's. Educate me :bang: . If I had to sleep in my truck waiting on a heifer. When I had 64 broods, not one pull for 4 years.

The brahman influence is responsible for the beefmaster calving ease. The brahman influence is also responsible for that beating they take at the sale barn. 1/2 bloods of any brahman cross don't sell well - regardless of color.

Latest posts