Heaviest Weaning Weight?

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
What is the heaviest 205 adjusted weaning weight you ever heard of.

Please no claims but real bonafide weights.

Who cares? How about what's the best profit per head you ever heard of? Sorry, Mike, had to do it! :D

purecountry":3imx0k9l said:
Who cares? How about what's the best profit per head you ever heard of? Sorry, Mike, had to do it! :D

I was just wondering how far we have come from the days of weaning those 250-300 lb calves in the 50's and 60's.

Plus the fact that most people don't like to give out financial info on a public forum. :p

Heaviest weaning weight (205 day wt) for me is 906# bull.
Best profit?? $4000 heifer at weaning. Didn't figure net profit, but I'm guessing she topped them. Have had many in the $2500-3500 range, but she was the only one that went that high. Buyer brought her to Denver. She stood 4th in a large Feb yearling class (was red & white spotted by the way). Only negative comment judge had was she was too BIG!!
Yup, finally had one BIG enough to go to Denver and the downsizing had started. :shock: :p

I have never had a calf adjust to 900 lbs. Had some 800's but not that often. Mostly high 7's.
Got a friend in Kentucky who had one that adjusted to 1007 lbs. No creep. He was a whopper at weaning but only weighed 1400 at yearling. Frame 7.

That was our one and only - strickly mom & grass.
800's "were" pretty common. Now more in the mid 6 & 700's.
Been getting our WW back up after downsizing the cows so much. Trying to keep the same kind of WW's - just cut the legs off shorter.
1400# YW is nothing to sneeze at! :shock: but rate of gain from WW to YW wasn't real impressive. Just picture that cow getting knocked off her feet when he bopped her for more milk. :p

Sampson.

1020 pounds, no creep.

Tarentaise.

Yes. he made big females, and no, he didn't transmit as much as he did himself.

####EDIT This was unadjusted at 8 months of age.

Badlands

Years ago the kids had a pet Holstien steer that they raised from a calf they bought from a nieghbor. His name was Baby.
Being a pet, Baby got fed 10 times a day. Baby weighed 1400lbs at 12 months.

I had a gelbvieh bull with 999 adj. ww. Actual was 920 at around 200 days. He was out of a first calf heifer so they get about 60 lbs added for age of dam.
I think the highest recorded with AGA was around 1200.

Best I've done adj. 205 746 lbs. and yearling adj.weight 1300 lbs. now at 14 months 1691 lbs. Has been fed since weaning. Nothing but mom up to weaning and grass.

915 but I never adjusted it so that probably was a 240-260 day weight. Big straight Simmental cow bred too a show winning (and that was when the biggest bull usually won the show) Simmental bull. She also had problems with milking too heavy so her and junior spent at least a month in my barn eating out of a sack(she belonged to the guy we were leasing the land from).

MikeC":18whm2vv said:
I have never had a calf adjust to 900 lbs. Had some 800's but not that often. Mostly high 7's.
Got a friend in Kentucky who had one that adjusted to 1007 lbs. No creep. He was a whopper at weaning but only weighed 1400 at yearling. Frame 7.

What breed?

Glanced at our records for the last few years and the highest I see is in the low 7,s with an average of 566.

tom4018":1zgbzvex said:
MikeC":1zgbzvex said:

What breed?

Glanced at our records for the last few years and the highest I see is in the low 7,s with an average of 566.

Chars. I have had lots of heifers in the 5's too. I guess I shoulda meant to say bull calves.

806 lbs no creep and no grain for the cow.

http://old.redangus.org/cgi-bin/extped.4ge?886488

Picture_0037-c.jpg

He is streaching here but you get the idea.

angus bull
Oak Bowery Alliance 9126 723
BW 79 lb, WW 964 lb , YW 1530 lb
owned by Howard Bros. Farms, LLC of NC, and Circle H Ranch,
of AL.

cypressfarms":11yn8e7v said:
Mike C,

Speaking of weaning weights, how's the small birth weight char bull calf doing that was born in the fall???

He's still a dink. Funny thing is.....his dam weaned my heaviest calf a few years ago??????

Latest posts