Heat Cycle and Lute

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
Two of my heifers shut down back in July and didn't cycle due to the high temps (best vet's guess) back then. I let it rock on because I figured the bull was probably infertile too, and a couple more months of age wasn't going to hurt anything. Had them both recently palpated and vet said we could kick start them with two doses of Lute ten 10 days apart. Gave the older one the first injection on 10-13. The other on 10-15 because I was hoping they would cycle at different times. Checked them every other day and on Sunday 10-23 I gave the oldest the second injection. Today I asked my brother to give the other injection, which he did.

Brother calls me after it's done and says the oldest has a bloody discharge and some dried blood on her tail. He also said the one he had just injected had a milky discharge coming from her. I drove out there and sure enough the bull is trying to mount the younger heifer, but she's not standing.

Neither one of us has observed the bull being interested in the older one and, until today, have we observed the bull being interested in the younger. Recon where I stand with these two?

P.S. I ain't shipping either one right now. :lol:

I recon you might catch the last one but you surely missed the first. But at least you'll know when to watch them for the next heat cycle

slick4591":2cfqk2pe said:
So the Lute she was hit with today won't matter?
Not a bit. It only works if there is a CL. That's why for non-cyclers or those I wasn;t sure of I alwasy used a shot of GnRH followed 7 days later with a shot of lute.

Latest posts