hearing protection

Help Support CattleToday:

mtncows

Reaction score
Just wondering how many folks use hearing protection when running power equipment.I have for probably 15 years and it really helps. I use foam ear plugs rated around 29db reduction and can still hear any prolems with machine

i use my ipod or headphones with a radio built in. probably will save my hearing in the long run

I use my mickey mouse ears all the time.

20 years in the Navy working around jets taught me the value of hearing protection, now it's second nature to me.

how the heck can an iPod help save your hearing?? that just adds more noise! john, its a music player. i dont when im not around my dad. but my dad makes me cuz hes worked around loud equipment his whole life and cant hear crap so he makes me cuz he dont want me to turn out like that.

I wear the little yellow foam ones on everything except the cab tractor. Both my grandfathers were hard of hearing and my father isn't far behind. I don't aim to end up like that but when the wife starts in on one of her rants deafness doesn't seem so bad after all.

cfpinz

well me and my 14 year odl brother cant hear. the school has hear test. and 150 is passing(lower the number the better) and his right ear was 2000 and his left ear was 1500. i am worse then him. never wore ear protection still dont. we are always aroung iragation moters, and old antique tractors that we restore

My grandfather was partially deaf (genetic). My dad is the same except years of abuse around machinery helped it along so he has been deaf in his left ear and hard of hearing in the other since I've been old enough to remember. He has hearing aids in both ears and he still has problems communicating. Now I find myself in the same boat. I rarely hear the crickets and the ones that I do are just the incessant ringing in my ears. As a 30something with the hearing of a 70something I would like to keep what I have left for as long as possible so I wear the plugs with the plastic band that goes around your neck or over the bill of a cap.

Folks, if you have kids please insist that they wear hearing protection. Once it's gone you don't get it back.

I wear the yellow foam plug's when i use anykind of power tool my Dad ran a dozer for a liveing never wore any kind of hearing protecion now he can't hear it thunder.

rattler

I wear muffs. The plugs that go in my ears irritate the snot out of me cause my ears sweat so bad. One of the good things about not having worn ear protection for many years is that I can;t hear most female singers, at least for part of the song. Last time I took a hearing test I got up and went out of the booth to tell the operator that his machine was broekn because I hadn;t heard a sound for a couple of minutes. Just happened to be in the range that I can;t hear anything. I wish I couldn;t hear anything by shanwhiner twain but I'm not that luckey

I wear a pair of Husqvarna ear muffs and hard hat when cutting hay. A pleasure to wear and can pick up on any little thing that goes wrong in a micro-second because I can focus my hearing on the little changes in the haybine and avoid the engine noise. My dad thinks I am nuts for wearing them and look like a goof in the field, but he's the one who yells when he talks and has a hard time hearing. Next-door neighbour is nearly deaf in both ears after a lifetime on the farm.

mtncows":327qps0t said:
Just wondering how many folks use hearing protection when running power equipment.I have for probably 15 years and it really helps. I use foam ear plugs rated around 29db reduction and can still hear any prolems with machine

I use ear plugs but don't know what they are rated. I to can hear any problems that might occur. If I take them out while on the diesel tractor I realize the difference immediately.

dun":1n9i2if4 said:
I wear muffs. The plugs that go in my ears irritate the snot out of me cause my ears sweat so bad. One of the good things about not having worn ear protection for many years is that I can;t hear most female singers, at least for part of the song. Last time I took a hearing test I got up and went out of the booth to tell the operator that his machine was broekn because I hadn;t heard a sound for a couple of minutes. Just happened to be in the range that I can;t hear anything. I wish I couldn;t hear anything by shanwhiner twain but I'm not that luckey

Another good thing about being hard of hearing is that it lends a certain degree of plausible deniability. ;-)

i have a hard time understanding my husband. one time he got real mad, and said i needed my hearing checked. so i did. my ears are hypersensitive to high pitches, but I have a hard time with low pitches. in fact i can hear high pitches that no one else except the dogs hear. so now i have medical proof that i can't hear my husband. :D

but i know the real reason i can't hear him is because he mumbles. people are always asking me "what did he say" and i repeat what he said.

but, to answer your question - i wear the foam plugs. the muffs give me headaches. i wear the plugs with the string attached so i can tie it to my cap and they are always with me.

yeah i have heard that too...i don't have the volume real loud, just enough to drown the enginge out. the ipod plugs are similar to regular ear plugs so i don't need to raise the volume too high.

Aaron":2ja4yhf6 said:
I wear a pair of Husqvarna ear muffs and hard hat when cutting hay. A pleasure to wear and can pick up on any little thing that goes wrong in a micro-second because I can focus my hearing on the little changes in the haybine and avoid the engine noise. My dad thinks I am nuts for wearing them and look like a goof in the field, but he's the one who yells when he talks and has a hard time hearing. Next-door neighbour is nearly deaf in both ears after a lifetime on the farm.

Why would you wear a hard hat when cutting hay? :roll: Cutting firewood - yes.......

Latest posts