healthy weight gaining

Help Support CattleToday:

cmf1

Reaction score
I have a two year old that was accidentally bred by a fence jumper at about 12-13 months. She had a very healthy calf that is now off of her. She is now just turned two and is very healthy as well. She is much lighter than is common for her type, and I would like to bulk her up. Her frame is strong and good size. She has been bred again on purpose.
Is a little extra feed the best option, or are there some safe supplements that would help her, or both.

thanks for any input,

cmf1":30u772ad said:
I have a two year old that was accidentally bred by a fence jumper at about 12-13 months. She had a very healthy calf that is now off of her. She is now just turned two and is very healthy as well. She is much lighter than is common for her type, and I would like to bulk her up. Her frame is strong and good size. She has been bred again on purpose.
Is a little extra feed the best option, or are there some safe supplements that would help her, or both.

thanks for any input,

Just grain should be fine. Did she get bred at 12-13 months or calve at 12-13 months?

While 12-13 months is a bit early to breed, it isn't that bad. Most people breed at between 14-16 months old, so they calve near 24 months old. If she is poorer than her contemperaries, it may just be that she is a poorer doing animal. If she requires grain to keep her weight up then she could be a candidate for the cull pen. Personally, I would feed her up a bit, and then see how she holds her condition on just grass/hay alone.

On the other hand, if she CALVED at 12-13 months, by all means, feed her up some. That is quite young to have a calf. And I would definitely give her another chance. She may never fill out to the same extent as the rest the herd.

Sorry Randiliana
Redoing my math she was bred at 9-10 months.

I just put a registered Black Gelbveih on her.
She is "southern states" F-1, HerefordxBrahma.(tigerstriper)
She is potentially gorgeous, and raised a beautiful 3/4 Brahma that has been weaned and sold.
Calf off for 3 weeks and she is already picking up some.
I really like the way she looks when my brain adds 250-300 pounds to her frame.
From what I hear and gather, I guess I'll just have to wait and see and tip the feed bucket for her.

cmf1":1lqnjqmc said:
Sorry Randiliana
Redoing my math she was bred at 9-10 months.

I just put a registered Black Gelbveih on her.
She is "southern states" F-1, HerefordxBrahma.(tigerstriper)
She is potentially gorgeous, and raised a beautiful 3/4 Brahma that has been weaned and sold.
Calf off for 3 weeks and she is already picking up some.
I really like the way she looks when my brain adds 250-300 pounds to her frame.
From what I hear and gather, I guess I'll just have to wait and see and tip the feed bucket for her.

OK, that is a bit on the young side. I would feed her a bit to get her up to a good healthy weight. If she is picking up already I think she should maintain her weight well enough once she matures a bit.