Healthy Calf having trouble sucking.

Help Support CattleToday:

B&N

Reaction score
Husband brought home calf(2months old? or maybe just big baby) weighed 115 lbs down to 105 lbs from sale barn 3/18/08. Full of spunk. Gave him Bio-Mycin 200 (just in case). Problem.... Calf won't take the bottle. Seems to have trouble with the sucking part. Thought we found a cow to put him on but no call back yet. We have been trying out best. Probably get 2 quarts a day down him. He does eat grain and drink some water. Tried electroylytes and didn't like at all. Tried bucket feeding but not real interested. His tongue appears slightly larger than normally but not much. Gave him vitamin B yesterday. Any other suggestions? Calf is urinating fine. Appears constipated some ( we attibute this to lack of milk). This is first calf we have had that wouldn't suck. For me I am a newbie (only raised 10 -12 calves) but my husband's family has raised cattle for years.

Sounds like you are doing it right, some calves are just stuborn. Patience is the key word. Try putting a spoon full of sugar in its mouth then the bottle right after. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Try putting the nipple in with your finger just below and play with the tongue. I have enlarged the hole on some. If it is getting 2 quarts and a little feed it may be all it needs. You may just try feed with some milk in it. Or maybe it will drink the milk strait from a bucket.
Good luck.

We tried the sugar yesterday morning. We have enlarged the hole. This was the first time we felt we got some milk down him. And yes I get in there and play with his tongue that helped until I put my finger in the wrong place and he bit down. He did not do so well last night again used sugar. Maybe drank a 1/2 cup of milk from bucket. Just got in this morning from feeding. He still having issues sucking. Tongue wants to come out of mouth. He wants to chew instead of sucking. Not any better than yesterday morning but a little better than last night. I am gonna see if farm store open today (Easter Sunday) and try a different nipple. What kind of feed with milk in it do you suggest. Any other suggestions? Will lamb nipples make a difference?

I would give a couple of shots of an anti inflam for the swelling in the tongue.
It sounds like the momma had troubles birthing and they sold the calf. 115# can be a new born. Keep doing what you are doing and hopefully it will pay off.
What type of milk replacer are you using?
20/20/20 is the best. We had a calf that needed a little supplement cause it's momma was a heifer and had not fully come into her milk.
I had some left over replacer from last year. Not remembering it was the cheap kind, soy based (bought for reasons i will not go into :oops: ). Calf fought like the dickens to suck. Once we realized we bought the good stuff and it took the bottle no problem.
If your calf had a suck of the real stuff before it got sent down the road, might be difficult to get it to suck if it is the cheap stuff.
The grain we used was designed for baby calves. High in what ever it was they needed

Thanks... I am not sure which kind of replacement he is using this year but we have always used in the better one in the past but will ask hubby when he gets home. We are using the feed designed for newborn calves. I think I will try getting an anti inflammatory and see if that helps. He just won't suck but wants to grind and chew now. Acts like too much tongue or something? That's why I am wondering about changing nipples.

he is only grinding when the bottle is in his mouth. Actually my husband is now agreeing that it might be more chewing than grinding. Otherwise he act like a normal calf. Eats feed, drink water, just won't suck. He did drink another cups out of the bucket since this morning. Found out he bought the soy stuff this time. Gonna try better milk. Still think I need a vet?

keep him hydrated the best you can, try the better stuff, take his temp. If the temp is normal, no vet, unless he developes a problem, or you want to double check on what the vet thinks.If you can't get the tractor supply today the vet might have better milk replacer. Ours I know does stock it.

I'm kind of brain dead right now, but reading this thread kind of brought back some rather unpleasant memories for me...that being calves that won't take the bottle. There is nothing more frustrating!

You said that the calf is 2 months old, right? If that's the case and the calf is eating feed, forget trying to force the milk. That calf has nursed nothing but it's mother for the last 2 months and no way is it gonna take that bottle. OK, sometimes they will, but I've only gotten lucky with that twice.

Get some calf manna pellets and mix them in with the dry feed, heavy on the calf manna. And make sure the dry feed is regular calf starter grower feed. AND, when you notice the feed is about gone, put out some more for him. Also, give him access to some grassy type hay and lots of water.

My aunt used to mix milk replacer with the calf starter grower...without the water, tho. She had luck with that.

Good luck...my sympathies are with you. (Also, if that calf broke the skin when it but you, make sure you keep it doctored.)

Alice

Oh cripes! I forgot! Squirt probios in that calf's mouth at least once a day. Vitamin B complex helps with stimulating appetite, also.

Alice

As usual Alice and rockridge are right on the money here . I would attempt to do everything they have mentioned . The only thing I might add would be a shot of selenium, we have found this to be a benifit in calves that won't suck . As Alice said, if we can wean this guy we should . I hpoe at 2 months he is a little bigger than you think 115 lbs is small . How many lbs grain a day is he eating ?

Larry

We have done the Vitamin B complex shot. Might try the pro-bios (not sure if necessary at this point). The selennium what exactly is that? Never gave to calves before. But never had one that wouldn't suck. What is it suppose to do? Tried mixing milk w/ calf starter but didn't care for it. My husband thought calf was 2 months old but now after reading the posts I really think he was a really big baby and the mom didn't make it. A lot of cows have been lost this year in our area thanks to crazy weather and pneumonia outbreaks around. No temp(101.7) and he seems OK isn't acting sick anyways. No scours actually he might be a little constipated but no bloating or anything like that. Will feed in an hour and will try 20/20/20 milk replacement.

I get frustrated but the wife will kind of pump the jaws to make the milk squirt out, they either swallow, choke or it runs out of the side of their mouth. That usually get's them going. May not suck too well but at least they get nourishment and you don;t have to tube them.

The calf isn't acting sick and the calf is eating dry feed. Keep the feed out, especially calf manna.

I truly would not worry anymore about making the calf take a bottle if he's eating feed. Think of it like this...chances are the calf won't take the bottle no matter how hard you try...and you'll stress it out in the process, nevermind the stress on yourself. If it absolutely won't take the bottle, and you're determined that the calf needs it, then you'll have to tube it...more stress and the chance that you and/or the calf will get hurt. Tubing a well calf that's eating dry feed...no, no, no!

As for the probios...it can't hurt it and it'll sure help it. I gave my babies probios as a matter of course and had a lot better luck with keeping them well.

When's the next sale? That's another option...

Alice

I agree.. if the calf is 105 lbs he can't be two months old.. I'm betting he's a week or so and lost his mother. That would explain the not wanting to nurse a bottle. Once a calf has nursed on a cow, they are extremely hard to get to nurse on a rubber nipple.

I think you should pursue getting the calf to nurse the bottle. I can't imagine he will do well if he doesn't get milk replacer.. but my opinion of course. I agree with dun.. make the opening in the nipple larger (they are notoriously small anyway.. we always have to open them with a knife) and squeeze the liquid into his mouth, keeping his head up. I think he'll figure it out!

Good luck!

If my husband has his way we will take Alice's advice. Back to the sale barn . I of course have gotten attached. Changed to 20/20/20 milk replacement and again he would not suck. Just wants to chew and he will bite down on nipple but won't suck. We have been trying to help him with motions. Moving his jaw and putting finger on back of tongue. This technique seems to work the best as for getting 1-1 1/2 quarts of milk in him. Takes about 45 mins to accomplish though. When I put in the bucket in tends not to dissolve completely although he will drink some from the bucket in time. Residue left in bucket. Could this be the brand? Tonight I gave him hay and mixed a little dry milk replacement with calf starter feed. Loved the hay as he ate right out of my hand. Hasn't eaten much feed.*** Back to my original post. Any thoughts on the nipple. Using a long red nipple. Our local farm store was out of the black nipples. Tractor supply was closed today. Thought about going to Feed store tomorrow and drying different milk but I am beginning think he just isn't going to suck. Thanks everyone for your help. He is still full of spunk and acting fine at this point.

B&N":3oqk0h1d said:
If my husband has his way we will take Alice's advice. Back to the sale barn . I of course have gotten attached. Changed to 20/20/20 milk replacement and again he would not suck. Just wants to chew and he will bite down on nipple but won't suck. We have been trying to help him with motions. Moving his jaw and putting finger on back of tongue. This technique seems to work the best as for getting 1-1 1/2 quarts of milk in him. Takes about 45 mins to accomplish though. When I put in the bucket in tends not to dissolve completely although he will drink some from the bucket in time. Residue left in bucket. Could this be the brand? Tonight I gave him hay and mixed a little dry milk replacement with calf starter feed. Loved the hay as he ate right out of my hand. Hasn't eaten much feed.*** Back to my original post. Any thoughts on the nipple. Using a long red nipple. Our local farm store was out of the black nipples. Tractor supply was closed today. Thought about going to Feed store tomorrow and drying different milk but I am beginning think he just isn't going to suck. Thanks everyone for your help. He is still full of spunk and acting fine at this point.

No shame in getting attached. Been there, done that, got all of the T-shirts.

Do you have another calf that is on the bottle? One you could put that calf in with? Monkey see, monkey do.

Whatever the case may be, if that calf is still romping around, that's 3/4's of the battle right there. Talk to your vet tomorrow...see if he/she thinks it's ok to let it go w/o the milk replacer. BTW, 20/20 milk replacer is fine and good and I'd never, ever try to raise a calf on anything less...but it's only good if you can get the calf to drink it. Changing to it won't make the calf drink it.

One other thing you might try, altho I really think it's an exercise in futility...mix the milk replacer with strawberry jello powder...and push the probios. Even if the calf won't drink the milk replacer, the probios very well may stimulate the appetite and make the calf eat more dry calf feed.

Also, if you are able to get a quart down the calf, mix the milk replacer with much less water. Use the same amount of powder that you would with 4 pints of water, but mix it with 2 pints of water. The calf will still get the nutrition and there will be less of a fight on your hands.

Here's a bit of advice that I really never took, but knew that I should. Sometimes, you try to hard...and the outcome is the same whatever you try. I can't help but think with that calf eating dry feed, it's gonna be ok, but Lord knows, with calves, nothing is written in stone.

Good luck,

Alice

I am gonna pick up the probios and calf manna and try that today. I marked his water and gonna see how much he his actually drinking and eating feed and hay wise on his own. Once the statistics are in call the vet. How much feed is too much for a calf his size. My husband has only been given him 1-2lbs twice a day. Sometimes he eats it all and sometimes not. Thanks Alice and everyone else for your advice. I really appreciate it. We did try the monkey see monkey do approach with the other calf we have on the bottle and no luck.

Since he's not drinking his bottle, I wouldn't worry about "too" much. When you notice it's gone, put out some more. I'm sure I always put out "too" much 'cause the calves didn't stand and eat it until it was gone; they'd come back and eat some more later. If your husband is putting out 3 to 4 pounds of feed a day, and that calf's eating it, he'll be ok without the milk replacer. And of course, as he grows, he's gonna require more feed, so when you notice the feed is gone, put out some more. You'll get used to judging it as time goes on.

Alice :)

Latest posts