Headlocks

Help Support CattleToday:

eviebeam

Reaction score
Hi All! I am new here.....have been finishing a few cattle for @ 6 years. We are trying to expand & do things the right way. Up until now we have not had much of a handling system & luckily did not need it. We are trying to remodel an existing building. I have Black Angus cattle ranging from 400 to 1300lbs. I am thinking that I would like to put in a feeding system that includes headlocks. Thinking I can use these to catch them easily for delice/deworm & sorting instead of running them through a chute. They are already vaccinated when I recieve them. I have not used headlocks before. Will this work? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

They'll work but the problem is trying to find them anymore. When dairys went to herring/parabone parlors the stanchions went to scrap. You can find a few companys that still manufacture new ones but they are really pricey

There used to be plans available on line somewhere so if you are handy you could build them yourself. Freestyle dairies sometimes still use them at the feed bunk and they can pull a lever at either end that locks all the cattle in place while they are eating. friends still use that system to AI the cows .

Kicked around the idea of building them here a few times.

. I have Black Angus cattle ranging from 400 to 1300lbs.
Welcome. Just curious. You got any pictures of your 1300lb Angus ? Thanks in advance.

kenny thomas":1v8lttsc said:
Hillsdown, how well do they work to AI. Sure would be faster.
Do you think a beef cow will go for that? I guess if they are " use" to them.........anybody got some pictures? I was thinking about
that a couple of months ago. I think that might be how they do things in Germany on some beef farms?

Most of mine will stick their head through a crack in an outhouse if they think there is something to eat in there. I think they could be trained to it very quickly.

kenny thomas":2qc33x47 said:
Once they get used to them they work really well. Until we got a squeeze that's what we used. They're just awkward for doing anything in front because of the feeder part. They can also get a bit crowded if you have them full and you have to get up next to their necks for giving shots, but for AI they work really well

dun":29ngkjn5 said:
kenny thomas":29ngkjn5 said:
Once they get used to them they work really well. Until we got a squeeze that's what we used. They're just awkward for doing anything in front because of the feeder part. They can also get a bit crowded if you have them full and you have to get up next to their necks for giving shots, but for AI they work really well
Are they in a chute too?

Kingfisher":23gsws2s said:
dun":23gsws2s said:
kenny thomas":23gsws2s said:
Are they in a chute too?
No, they're side by side, that's why they'e awkward. The ones I have are a set of 12

my dad used to AI dairy cattle 40 yrs ago. that's all the cattle were restrained in is dairy stantions. only remember him having to use nose tongs once.

Thanks for the replies! I think I am going to go ahead & try them. Hoping it will be easier since it is typically a 1 woman show around here. Fortunately, I do live in PA & there are some small companies that still make them affordably (mostly for dairies). As for pictures....I don't have any currently, we just sent a couple to the butcher. I am guessing on weight considerring they dressed around 715lbs. There is a website that has photos of headlocks www.zimmermanequipment.com they are a little pricier than a couple other small companies. Again, thank you!

I had a chance to buy some used Headlocks that were made by Zimmerman.
They are owned by a fellow in Pa that has dairy cows.
I still may end up with them, as we don't have a head gate yet.
There is a lot of that type used equipment in this area of the world.
Our place is 2 miles from york county PA and Lancaster is the next county over.

Headlocks work great. I have a friend that has an outside concrete lot with 30 head locks. When he does spring/fall work up or AI or anything, you just trip one lever and they are all caught. Doesn't take anytime to teach them to use them.
We have a single one in two pens & a larger pen with 5 in it. Ours are self catch. You change a lever & when the cow puts her head in, it locks.
SS_Sale_3S_1_pix.jpg

I use it for calving. When a calf is born, I put down some grain & walk away. When mom is caught, I go in SAFELY & doctor newborn by myself.

Latest posts