HD Smart Charger ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I run a number of battery powered energizers so I use my charger a lot. Had a basic Schumacher and melted the leads off it. Too many amps. Read the directions and then bought another 2 years ago. Now it charges for a while and then stops. Not so smart... Looked at a NOCO 10 amp charger, but don't think it is big enough.

Sizing tips for farm use?
Any value in having a repair cycle on the charger?

What kind of batteries do you use? For the little motorcycle batteries 10A is too much, but for bigger batteries it's good. I'm not a fan of NOCO. Had to replace a ring terminal on one lead, and when the charger failed a few months later they refused to honor the warranty.

The clamps are the weak point for most chargers. Poor quality metal, very little actual contact with the battery terminal and weak springs. Upgrade them or use ring terminals.

The repair function is close to useless and maybe worse.

Steve, if your reference to repair function is a desulfate function, I wouldn't buy a maintainer without it.

About three years ago I had an Interstate 12 volt auto battery that wouldn't start a 4 cyl Ford industrial engine. After having it on the regular charger for a couple of days it showed about 380 CCA in a 680 CCA battery. So I set it out in the bone pile to take to the re-cycler. I had a desulfator I had purchased off of the internet out of curiosity. It was an Infinitum brand.

The Interstate had set outside for the winter and I figured was trash, but hooked up a charger with the desulfator connected. After a couple of days of charging I would check the CCA and log the numbers. The battery eventually showed about 600CCA. I used that battery for another year!

After that experience I always get a maintainer with the desulfator feature. I put the charger on my Polarus Ranger most every time it's in the shed. I bought the Ranger used in 2012 and it still has the battery in it that was in it when I bought it.

Your mileage may vary!!

Latest posts