hayledge-??

Help Support CattleToday:

cowspider

Reaction score
Hey, (No pun intended)
I bought some hayledge to feed some holstein nurse cows I have, when I unwrapped it just looked like a round bale of hay. I thought ( thats what i get for thinking) hayledge was more like silege, moist and slime. I bought from a farmer who feeds 400 cows and he said they love this stuff. My cow chow it down but is hayledge suppost to be dry??

First time feeding it. any help is appre-she-eighted. :cboy:

Cowspider

yes, it does have a smell, so I guess I did OK then. They seem to like it and it is easy to feed in a round bale feeder.
I will see if my horses will eat it next.

Cowspider :hat:

cowspider":1qyavcbi said:
yes, it does have a smell, so I guess I did OK then. They seem to like it and it is easy to feed in a round bale feeder.
I will see if my horses will eat it next.

Cowspider :hat:

Be careful with the horses. Anything new and different can and will get them sick. A horse is always looking for a reason for you to have to spend money at the vets office. :lol2:

cowspider":3imbfa7w said:
Hey, (No pun intended)
I bought some hayledge to feed some holstein nurse cows I have, when I unwrapped it just looked like a round bale of hay. I thought ( thats what i get for thinking) hayledge was more like silege, moist and slime. I bought from a farmer who feeds 400 cows and he said they love this stuff. My cow chow it down but is hayledge suppost to be dry??

First time feeding it. any help is appre-she-eighted. :cboy:

Cowspider

When you got the wrap off it was it holding a lot of moisture? Most times it will drain out. Jsut curious. Justs remember they'll need to eat about 3 times as much of it to get the same dry matter as they would eating hay.

cowspider":1rfmxcqb said:
No, no real moisture. Just barely damp to the touch. They do seem to eat a lot of it.

It could still be going thru the ensiling process or was just put up pretty dry. After a while you probably will have some moisture accumulation at the bottom of the roll. (don't get it on you. :lol: )It's ordinarily cut and allowed to just wilt and then rolled and wrapped....bet in a few weeks it will smell stronger and better...your cattle will love it. Best Wishes.