Hayin again

Help Support CattleToday:

Rookie

Reaction score
Here I be again. I'd almost been forgettin what a "rewardin" experience it be ta be workin hay with equipment so old it be on a prayer (tha last wing done gave out last year). One rain dance step ahead a tha weather with every cut, breakdowns what get ya back "up close and personal" with tha pick up bar on ya baler, layin in grass fulla bugs and chiggers, I must be lovin it; I keep on doin it. :lol: :???: :lol:

i for 1 sure dont miss working on equipment in the heat.having to digg the hay out of the wheel rake.an having to get under the front of the baler to digg hay out of the baler.but havent had to worry bout that since we hire the hay baled.

bigbull338":2dgh60h1 said:
but havent had to worry bout that since we hire the hay baled.

That would be a nice way ta go but lordy, the last I checked around here ( and that be a while back) the goin rate was $13 an acre and $7-9 a big round bale.And that was back when diesel was way under $2 a gallon. Last I bought (last week) was $4.29 a gallon. I could only imagine what tha cost would be now :cry2: :cry2: :cry2:

Rookie":296g7lfg said:
bigbull338":296g7lfg said:
but havent had to worry bout that since we hire the hay baled.

That would be a nice way ta go but lordy, the last I checked around here ( and that be a while back) the goin rate was $13 an acre and $7-9 a big round bale.And that was back when diesel was way under $2 a gallon. Last I bought (last week) was $4.29 a gallon. I could only imagine what tha cost would be now :cry2: :cry2: :cry2:
thats about right for offroad..

~$4.71 for o road and ~$4.50 for off road here. Baling is going to be expensive this year.

You have to love doing hay to be doing your own. I've been doing it for several years now and love doing it, but I don't think that my bank account does.

Really keeping close tabs on the numbers this year. I do believe that I'm paying a steep price for doing my own hay. Probably will be buying it in the future.

My dad puts up alot of hay the off road disel is 499 a gallon here and the gas is 404 a gallon. How in the heck can anyone be able to do this for very long with the gas prices the way they are. I hate working on the equipment in the hot sun. Last week I helped my dad put some links on the baler chain plus had to retime it that was fun it was 90 degrees if not more when we had to do that.

You old and young kids be careful when playing with your toys. Just two days ago we had a man come into the ER with his hand all chopped up. He lost the thumb in the blades.
I already knocked on wood for you all, as not to jinks anyone. Play safe :D

Latest posts